Haters, please read.

Originally posted by SKELLEN:

To put another way, the customer (as much as I hate to say it) doesn't appear to be number one priority with regard to development of business, but money itself, and that was my point.

Yes, and that is a problem.

What business / industry are you employed in SKELLEN?

I am and have been for many years been working in what was once the least customer friendly business in the Unites States. The Phone Company.

But a funny thing happened. It changed. Kicking and screaming for a lot of people, but change it did.

I'm just wondering what business can not focus on the customer, can afford to not make customers their first priority with regard to development of products and services.

I know several unsuccessful companies, but cannot off hand come up with any self-sufficient firms with a sustainable business model that does not put their customers first.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by dalem:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by The_Capt:

It was a matter of time till someone brought this one up. Well dale maybe they'll bring back Old Coke and make a mint then we can all be merry.

Hey, it's only my opinion, and although I think it's particularly apt, I could be dead wrong.

-dale </font>

Originally posted by Becket:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dalem:

It was a matter of time till someone brought this one up. Well dale maybe they'll bring back Old Coke and make a mint then we can all be merry.

Hey, it's only my opinion, and although I think it's particularly apt, I could be dead wrong.

-dale </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SKELLEN:

I only wish I could taste this New Coke of computer games - maybe a Mac release won't be too long in being released, if at all? :D

Hey, who was it that had that quote from Steve as their sigline for years? "I assure you that, if we abandon any platform, it will not be the Mac."

Heh.

-dale </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Becket:

-dale </font>

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SKELLEN:

To put another way, the customer (as much as I hate to say it) doesn't appear to be number one priority with regard to development of business, but money itself, and that was my point.

Yes, and that is a problem.

What business / industry are you employed in SKELLEN?

I am and have been for many years been working in what was once the least customer friendly business in the Unites States. The Phone Company.

But a funny thing happened. It changed. Kicking and screaming for a lot of people, but change it did.

I'm just wondering what business can not focus on the customer, can afford to not make customers their first priority with regard to development of products and services.

I know several unsuccessful companies, but cannot off hand come up with any self-sufficient firms with a sustainable business model that does not put their customers first. </font>

They are allegedly a "benign" monopoly, definitively some kind of monopoly that's for sure. But you are correct that now that they are the Big Dog they break the customer first rule. Is that the only one you can think of?

I here EA also have a bad reputation off the top of my head but I just wanted to make the point that there has been companies and will be companies that continue to shaft the customer - so to speak.

-dale </font>

They are allegedly a "benign" monopoly, definitively some kind of monopoly that's for sure. But you are correct that now that they are the Big Dog they break the customer first rule. Is that the only one you can think of?

Lots of companies I can think of don't have a lot of concern over customer satisfaction. Often, they are either more or less monopolies (e.g. microsoft or cable TV) or are in a field where such practices are industry-wide, and operate on a "take-it-or-leave-it basis, e.g. banks and credit-card companies.

--Philistine

Originally posted by thewood:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Becket:

-dale </font>

Often, they are either more or less monopolies (e.g. microsoft or cable TV) or are in a field where such practices are industry-wide
True. Cable TV is a government run monopoly, and yea I should 've qualified my earlier question better to exclude that sort of thing. However the danger is, with banks and CC companies, one firm could break out of the pack and compete on service.

Or are you saying that software firms especially games are in a special niche too?

Got it. Two comments. The first will sound like a jab, but it really isn't meant to be mean spirited. Some of your comments are a bit "theoryMission" rather than Combat Mission - you're playing the theory of the game and objecting to it, rather than playing the actual game to see how you like it. I have found 1:1 to be more enjoyable and haven't found any scale issues that bothered me, but I'm not going to tell you that I'm hardcore about that kind of stuff.

No jab detected ;) . But I don't have to play the game to understand those two sticking points. Notice I've not commented on things that sound iffy to me but are 100% related to game play - interface changes, bugs, or theater/story choice. I could get used to any interface after a while I assume, whether it good, bad, or mediocre. Bugs get reported and squashed in BFCland, and if I think the Syria thing is silly, so what - I can wait for WWII. Etc.

But the two issues we're discussing are like having my own rating sytem on the side of the box telling me that Dale Playability is Low.

As to the rest: I agree about the QB system. I think that the discussion to date has been entrenched between the people that want the old system, and BF.C who has stated that we won't get the old system. It seems to me that there's a wide field between those two positions where we might come up with a workable, enjoyable QB system. I tried to start a thread on it, but on further review, my writing there is just horrible. tongue.gif I take Steve at his word that we need to get this stuff hammered out now because once we get to the WWII implementation, there won't be opportunities to change things like this.

Like I say in your QB thread, it's pretty much been declared a dead issue I'd say.

Anyway, I understand what you are saying. Heck, at least you know that someday you'll get your preferred setting, while everything I've seen to date suggests I may never see my 66 mustang - OstFront - in CM again. :(

True enough. Plus I have all my ASL stuff still. smile.gif

-dale