Help for Map Makers - Macro-Tiles

I was thinking about how much more difficult it will be in CMx2 to make maps (smaller tiles, higher and more detailed buildings etc.) and remembered that in the days of Squad Leader, you could line up the boards in lots of different ways to construct a variety of battlefields.

This got me thinking, maybe we could have a similar system in CMx2, but using "macro-tiles" instead of boards. A macro-tile would just be a large block of tiles, saved to disc and available for import into any map.

To create such a file, you would design a small section of map, say a city block with a detailed hotel in the middle, and select all the tiles using the usual windows selection methods (left button down, drag and release etc). You would then right-click and select "Save Block" from a context menu.

To import such a file, you would just click on a tile on the map, right-click to bring up the context menu, and select "Import Block". This would display an open file dialog and allow you to select the file to import.

Height differences might be a problem, but this could be avoided in a number of ways. One would be to enforce a rule that all edge tiles of a block had to be at the same level. That way, if you imported a file, you would just have to level the area you were importing it into. The relative heights within the block of tiles would be maintained but the edge would be matched to the surrounding elevation. Another would be to save only the tile terrain and not the heights. This way, the terrain would paste onto the existing contours of the map. In any case, once the tiles were in place you would still be able to raise and lower tiles just as you would normally.

I think such a feature would make it a lot easier to construct good maps, as you would be able to build up a library of basic blocks of terrain. It would be especially useful for urban terrain as you could save individual large buildings and streets.

Not a bad idea, but we aren't going to rush out and do that. Instead, we'll see exactly how difficult building maps is/isn't and then go from there. I'm actually thinking it will be somewhat easier than CMx1, at least in terms of tediousness. In CMx1 the placement of each tile was very important because overlapping terrain was so restrictive and at 20x20m per tile whatever you put down really mattered. WIth the smaller tiles and greater flexibility, you won't need to be so careful. And with variable brush sizes you can put down a lot more terrain quickly, and accurately, compared to CMx1.

Buildings... we'll, I think they will be more difficult to deal with compared to CMx1. What with all the options and all!

Steve

Hi,

Yup… I agree.

What is needed is the ability to copy and paste from map to map and place to place on a larger map. There is no doubt that “tweaking” an existing map is hugely easier and quicker than building from scratch. I have a number of very larger maps from which I edit and tweak to form new maps in CMBB. In 10% of the time it takes to build from scratch I can entirely transform a map such that it is unrecognisable.

Of course, the real High God of all mapping tools is Mapping Mission. You can build huge 20km by 20km maps and then copy and paste into the CMBB editor to tweak a given section for a given scenario you are building. Stunning smile.gif .

Any Mapping Mission like features that could come with CMX2 would make a huge difference. Mapping Mission also helps for my beloved operations ;) . One can track units over genuinely operational areas and then copy and paste sections into the editor as needed for a given battle smile.gif .

All good fun,

All the best,

Kip.

Building options sound interesting...

I assume from Steve's comments that there are tools to help with elevation, and I guess a large brush is just as just as good as a macro-tile for some terrain types, but as Steve says that still leaves buildings. Some pre-built city block would be useful.

Depending how it is done you could wide brusn with a type of building and then edit in the detail.

As I understand it there will be an 8x8 grid, but things like roads and walls will be able to be layed down to within 1m.

So you may be able to build a town by brushing a large area with small buildings, then larger buildings over the centre of that, and then again even larger buildings in the very centre. you can them brush industrial buildings in a corner etc.

That should be enough to let you get the feel of the thing and even do some rough play testing.

You would then do the fine detail. However given that this system will give uniform heights and types there is no doubt that at some point you will need to go in and edit almost building by building.

For me the best solution would be a "Down Town" model page, where people you like making maps as much as playing the game ( the technical term is ANORAKs), would simply post model towns they had made, for other people to nick and edit.

Given the greater detail and flexibility that CMx2 should give, I think we might even quickly see models of specific scenes and locations with attached photos of the real thing to let you make comparisons.

Peter.