IMACS in bootcamp need dual core fix

A word of encouragement:

Awhile ago I bootcamp partitioned my new imac and installed Windows. I posted a running thread on the topic, try searching this chat group for something like "MikeyD Space Chimp" to find the thread. It should contain all the necessary links to patches & helpful hints. After following the instructions the game runs like gangbusters for me, zero processor or speed problems! smile.gif

MikeyD,

Help...I have an older IMAC (1.8Ghz Dual Core) with the ATI X1600 and 128M...I downloaded and got the game to start fine and even got through a turn, but then it locked up...and there were some funky flashing artifacts on the screen too..anyway, could you detail the patches and hints you used? Should I update to Bootcamp 1.3 and install new drivers? Should I download the fix for dual core processors. I really want to buy this game but am leary of BootCamp issues.

BTW TOW runs find on my machine, and the computer specs were similar...SOOO, I am wondering if I just need to change some ATI settings in the settings control panel?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I searched the forum and read the thread..how difficult was it to install the ATI Catalyst or whatever? I have tried updating things before with no luck...which is why I wonder if I should just upgrade to BootCamp 1.3?

THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS COMPANY...I downloaded this patch and my problems appear to be solved :D

I also went to the ATI website:

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/mac/bootcamp-xp.html

to download the latest drivers and I think that helped too...now I have made it through several turns and played some in real-time with no freezes and minimal graphics issues (I am still not hard core enough to get how good/bad/old my ATI X1600, but I am not an eye candy nut, either. :rolleyes: ) WOW, what a difference from CMx1..I am glad the PDF manual came with the demo, CLEARLY you must RTFM, but it does look cool and now that I am over my anxiety attack I am going to kick the tires about as I decide when (no longer whether) I buy it...

Thanks Steve, my faith is restored (not that it was ever lost...just a little shaky, BootCamp still makes me a little nervous) :cool:

Keep up the good work; I can't wait to play the scenarios the community comes up with.

Good Day to the Battlefront Gang;

Well for what it's worth, here's my impression as a BootCamp player running XP Home:

1. The graphics are pretty good; I turned off shadows but used default settings otherwise and things were good

2. Gameplay and camera work takes some getting used to, but I don't think it's that bad; will just take some getting used to switching from CMx1 to CMx2 games and vice versa (won't quit playing CMAK)

3. Finished the first demo training in real time...I think Real-time will be the most important new feature... I like it SOOO much more than waiting for the WEGO turn..which I usually FastForward past anyway..I know realtime will be a butt kicker in harder scenarios, but it is nice to have the option.

4. ANNNDD...just because I could I fired up the demo on my MACBOOK and it doesn't look bad :cool: I mean it's kinda like playing CMBO on my OLD Powerbook 3400 with a G3 upgrade..the graphics were, well they sucked, but the program worked..on my Macbook the vehicles looked pretty good, but the soldiers looked like stick figures...BUT it does work and ran in real time...so since I can't afford a new MBP, this is very important to me when I need a CMSF fix on a business trip.

SO here are my specs in case anyone's interested.

1. IMAC 1.83Ghz Core Duo, 1 GB ram, ATIx1600 with 128 MB ram, BOOTCAMP 1.2 and XP home

2. MacBook 1.83 Ghz Core Duo, 1 GB RAM, GMA 950, BOOTCAMP 1.2 and XP Home

Overall, I have no doubt I am gonna get my butt kicked many times and will struggle with new controls and interfaces, but it will be well worth it if the other demo scenario is a good as the first..

The personal responses to problems is light-years ahead of ANYTHING else I have ever encountered for technical support. Shows you guys care about your product and customers. :D

• 2 months later...