Vista?

Sure...but there are still some issues that needs fixing. I think you will be missing out on a graphical beauty layer or two, but from what I understand it should definitely be playable. I think even one of the devs are running it on a vista system.

//Salkin

Seriously try to hold your horses untill M$ atleast releases a SP1 to Vista. Untill that happens installing Vista is like asking for troubles. Sure it might work ok for some, but there are plenty of people out there whose systems are not so stable.

ps. Vista is a resource hog compared to XP so you should know that most games run worse with Vista than XP.

Do a search for recent posts by JaguarUSF; he's the one who pointed out the 8800 problems. He's also commented that the latest build fixed at least a good number of the problems.

I have no special knowledge or expertise, but I am also going to be shopping for a new system soon (though still a month or two for me), so I have been watching these issues closely. Based on what I've read, my personal SWAG is that players with NVidia 8800 and/or Vista 64 bit systems will probably be able to run the game right away, but probably will experience some annoying glitches and possibly even occasional crashes.

However, I would also expect that these problems will clear up over time, mostly as NVidia irons out the problems with the 8800 drivers, but also to a degree as BFC patches up the game. Ultimately, BFC is going to need to make sure the game runs, and runs well in Vista, if expects to keep sales up.

This doesn't necessarily mean I would *reccommend* getting Vista, or an 8800 card, though. Again, I am no expert and there are others here more qualified to comment on this, but I am leaning away from this combination myself. I have the luxury of waiting to see how things develop, though.

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by mpkev31b:

hey dont know if this has benn covered before.. but is this game going to be able to run on a vista system?

You did the question in reversed order...

"Will be Vista able to run this game?"

The fault is on the side of Microsoft... for his lack of backwards compatibility... and even if you are lucky and a game runs in Vista (many don't even run), there is a big problem with performance... to lose a 33% of performance in vista compared with XP should not surprise you.

So... for a gaming platform, the best idea is to make a big partition for XP and any game that you want to play smoothly.

Some computer vendors, will even exchange your license of Vista for another of XP without charge. (a great trade in my opinion).

Vista will be ready for games may be in 2 or 3 years... and by the time, there will be another operating system of Microsoft... so you can just bypass Vista, like many bypassed Windows Millennium Edition (Me).

Vista sucks even for companies... lots of software done specifically to work with you business... doesn't run anymore on Vista. Many companies are afraid to update, and keep his well working XP.

Originally posted by Phoenix:

Would love to get this clarified. Im on the

verge of ordering a new desktop (mostly for

CMSF) and am on the fence about getting Vista.

If you are getting a new computer, get Vista. Existing system, don't get Vista. I purchased a desktop from Dell in Feb, right after the Vista launch. Popped in a new 8800GTS and only game not working is CMx1 which I always had problems with on certain nVidia drivers.

Although if you're *only* getting a new computer to run CMSF, have some XP disks handy.

My opinion anyway...

Originally posted by Cid250:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mpkev31b:

hey dont know if this has benn covered before.. but is this game going to be able to run on a vista system?

You did the question in reversed order...

"Will be Vista able to run this game?"

The fault is on the side of Microsoft... for his lack of backwards compatibility... and even if you are lucky and a game runs in Vista (many don't even run), there is a big problem with performance... to lose a 33% of performance in vista compared with XP should not surprise you.

So... for a gaming platform, the best idea is to make a big partition for XP and any game that you want to play smoothly.

Some computer vendors, will even exchange your license of Vista for another of XP without charge. (a great trade in my opinion).

Vista will be ready for games may be in 2 or 3 years... and by the time, there will be another operating system of Microsoft... so you can just bypass Vista, like many bypassed Windows Millennium Edition (Me).

Vista sucks even for companies... lots of software done specifically to work with you business... doesn't run anymore on Vista. Many companies are afraid to update, and keep his well working XP. </font>

Originally posted by Stryker:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Phoenix:

Would love to get this clarified. Im on the

verge of ordering a new desktop (mostly for

CMSF) and am on the fence about getting Vista.

If you are getting a new computer, get Vista. Existing system, don't get Vista. I purchased a desktop from Dell in Feb, right after the Vista launch. Popped in a new 8800GTS and only game not working is CMx1 which I always had problems with on certain nVidia drivers.

Although if you're *only* getting a new computer to run CMSF, have some XP disks handy.

My opinion anyway... </font>

What is unknown is, that most companies offer the same system with Windows XP, if you insist on no getting Vista but XP.

If you don't need 4 GB of RAM, you should stay away from Vista.

1. Political reasons. Read the EULA. You accept that MS is contacted and data are transferred without even asking you!

If you are a fan of the further destruction of the private sphere and total control of all citizens, then go for Vista and accept the EULA.

If you want to make them pay for that, do not accept the EULA and send it back.

2. Technical reasons. Vista is slow and hungry. It's incredible how shameless M$ wastes ressources.

The compatibility probelms were mentioned already.

No one needs Vista and everyone with some knowledge about computers, will try to avoid and not touch it.

Originally posted by Steiner14:

What is unknown is, that most companies offer the same system with Windows XP, if you insist on no getting Vista but XP.

If you don't need 4 GB of RAM, you should stay away from Vista.

1. Political reasons. Read the EULA. You accept that MS is contacted and data are transferred without even asking you!

If you are a fan of the further destruction of the private sphere and total control of all citizens, then go for Vista and accept the EULA.

If you want to make them pay for that, do not accept the EULA and send it back.

2. Technical reasons. Vista is slow and hungry. It's incredible how shameless M$ wastes ressources.

The compatibility probelms were mentioned already.

No one needs Vista and everyone with some knowledge about computers, will try to avoid and not touch it.

He said it in words... i will explain it on images.

61x8uiq.jpg