AAR of a QB that worked

Just reporting on a QB that did not feature an inactive AI or any of the other problems some people have reported.

I took the Syrians, good quality special forces light infantry, vs. normal quality US Stryker medium infantry, in a probe in woods terrain.

I received a single light infantry platoon, with HQ squad, 2 full squads, and 1 RPG-29 team with the launcher and an AK. Each of the full squads detached an AT team, also each 1 RPG-29 and 1 AK. There were also 3 empty trucks which I parked in the woods and ignored (one was KOed eventually).

I had an objective building to defend, in the middle of the map, no idea where the US would be coming from. There was a trench running around the "compound", hills with roads running over them and beside additional buildings in two directions, and open woods all around (open meaning plenty of patchs with long LOS, but also thicker stands of trees).

I put the HQ squad and one RPG team in the objective building, HQ on the ground floor and RPG on the 2nd. The other 2 squads I put outside in the trench, at corners of it, meaning to cover the approaches to the compound wall. The other 2 RPG teams both went in one patch of woods covering what I considered the most likely approach route (one of the roads).

After a few turns I wasn't sure if the AI would leave its set up area so I sent one of the RPG teams toward the approach route on "quick", staying in his trees. One squad also headed that way, but on the far side of the road maybe 200 yards away.

I ran across a squad of dismounts headed over a hill to the right of the road, straight at the pair of RPG teams. The moving one drew fire and high-tailed it back into his woods. He lost the launcher guy. Meanwhile my moving squad hung a left and approached the backside of a building, staying in its shadow while jumping the wall and entering the back door. As soon as they reached the front windows they would have LOS to the enemy squad at 65 meters range.

The turn they were going to get there, I also ordered the HQ squad in the building to open fire, at around 175 yards range. By the end of that minute, the entire enemy squad went down. No further losses on my side. A minute later a 2-man HQ came up in the woods near there and was rapidly shot down by the repositioning (inside) "flanker" building squad.

I was thinking at this point that the enemy was probably one Stryker platoon, and in the direction I expected it, and now leaderless and understrength. I thought the rest would be a cakewalk. It wasn't.

Next thing that happened is 3 Strykers came screaming out of that side of the board in less than 2 minutes, and ran in on the objective. One ran right beside the compound wall, clear to the back side of the building. Another found a squad in a trench and was high enough up a hill to see right down into it, and his 50 blew them all away before I had a chance to issue them an order. It and another then dueled with the RPGs and were KOed. One RPG ran out of ammo doing it, leaving only the one in the objective building, with 3 rounds left.

A fourth Stryker with grenade launcher then appeared and parked right next to my "flankers" building, and blew the corner off of it with grenade launcher fire. That squad dropped to 4 men but they lived, skulking to the back of the building. Another squad on foot approach by the same route the others took, now temporarily cleared by all this.

As my men in the objective building repositioned to cover the Stryker parked literally 11 meters away, I found out the US force was not one, but 2 Stryker platoons. The other was now coming in from the opposite direction. My RPG team went to the second floor, but the back windows on the second floor were bricked shut (which I didn't discover until I used view 1 inside). So they headed to the roof, despite the danger now from lots of new 50 cals outside.

The team made it to the roof, shyed away from all the 50 cal fire and went to look out in the opposite direction. I was less than upset when they launched one of their 3 remaining rockets at the last, grenader launcher Stryker from the first attacking platoon, and KOed it with one shot at 200m. Well done guys. But now I have all of 2 rockets left, and I am facing 5 Strkyers - the first platoon's parked 11 m away inside the wall, and the 4 new ones intact outside that wall.

First I used the respite on the first attack direction to clean up that side. The flanker squad went back to front windows, and the 2 AKs left from the other RPG teams stopped hiding. I rapidly finished off the remaining men in the open on that side. Meanwhile the HQ squad on the first floor of the objective building, went to the rear windows to cover against the new assault direction. They got off a few shots up a hill (over the containing wall), but also lost a couple to 50 cal fire.

Still that set up the RPG team to move to the back side of the roof, while the Americans were concentrating on the ground floor. The ace team blew up another Strkyer about 80m beyond the wall. A grenade hit the near one but failed to hurt it much. The RPG was out of ammo and ran back down to the second floor, and amazingly made it alive.

At this point I decided it was time to bug out. The original attack direction was clear of unwounded Americans. 13 out of 26 Syrians made it out OK, half the rest were wounded. The Americans lost 4 Strykers and 31 out of 48 men, giving me a total victory on loss points, my major objective.

For my first QB attempt, I was perfectly satisfied both with the level of challenge, and with the AIs aggressiveness. Sure it made some dumb moves at times. But I still had to work and use the right tactics to survive against so many, and it punished me severely for mistakes like the squad out in the overlooked trench.

It sounds like you made an unnatural movement with your first RPG team towards the suspected setup zone fearing the AI was having a picnic instead of moving towards the objective. If you hadn't been doublechecking that the fight was truly on, it sounds like it would've been a different flavor of Total Victory for you.

It is possible, sure. I lost 6 rockets that way. But I could just as easily have lost both RPG teams in those woods to a point blank firefight with the enemy scout squad, if I hadn't gone looking for them.

As it happened, I KOed 10 men in return for that one launcher guy, by catching their scouts from a flank. The premature RPG team move is what spotted them and let me get a "bounce" on them with my moving squad. I consider that a success, not a failure, though sure I would rather have lost one AK doing it than one rocket launcher.

I had a QB AI opponent so 'smart' that a T-72 tank appeared on turn # 1 in my setup zone on a medium map and proceeded to blast the crap out of my company of Syrian regulars.

It was smart enough to start out with the ATGM teams I had.

I don't know if that was a bug or what, but it was a truly unexpected moment from the AI.

I had a nice QB last night in a city map.

I controlled Syrian mech infantry in BTRs + 3 tanks while the enemy has Strykers.

I placed my tanks in the main road and blasting away some of his Strykers. Then had some supporting infantry behind and dismount to hide in the nearby buildings. He had one of his Strikers platoon (no infantry aboard) rush to the tanks managing to get one behind my tanks due to slow reload times. The bad part is that the Stryker that got away was a the Gun variant. Then BOOM. got one of my tanks from behind.

He also had a platoon of Strykers (no infantry again) go around another route to flank me.

The battle ended as a draw. I got the objective for 15 pts but he dealt so much damage to me and got 600 pts. I also killed a lot of Strykers and got 600 pts as well.