Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

While BFC is back, please tell me why... [whining inside]

1:1 visual representation of HTH Combat is out of the question. The technical requirements for this are beyond what we want to deal with. Heck, even in top of the line FPS games, where HTH happens FREQUENTLY, the visual simulation is pretty lame in my opinion. So if they can't do it right, and it is a much more important part of the game, we're not even going to try. There are much better things to do with our limited resources.

HTH is simulated abstractly. And yes, this does mean "large" spans of time can go by without casualties. I've read of some single house cleaning ops in Iraq that could be an entire scenario all on their own. Now, I'm not saying that the visual representation that we have isn't causing some disconnect for you guys (I can understand that), nor am I saying that there isn't some room for tweaking what we currently have. What I am saying is that don't expect much in terms of direct visual HTH simulation from us ever. And since I very, very, VERY rarely use terms as strong as this, that should reinforce how difficult it is to do :D

Steve

Originally posted by KAding:

Hand-to-hand combat was pretty well done in the Close Combat series IMHO. You just heard some fighting noises and eventually one of the guys dropped dead.

I think something simple like that is all we need in CM:SF some HtH sound effects/fighting noises and then one guy or guys left standing. (Even the just the old sound track for HtH fighting from CMx1 would be a good start IMHO)

smile.gif

That should do it.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

HTH is simulated abstractly.

Is that so?

I had a guy out of ammo watch a RPG soldier on the same rooftop cause havoc among my troops!

There was no indication of fighting, and the RPG guy most definitely did not die!

Best regards,

Thomm

I was an MP in Baghdad and we had 9mms along with our M4s, M249s etc., we were trained to use our 9s as our weapon of last resort. Many infantry and armor types also carried M9s. Perhaps use animated use of a pistol at close range could do as a visual of H2H combat.

Also, a simple icon indicating that a unit is involved in HTH would suffice (crossed daggers or a fist with a BLAST icon behind it). The sound FX would be great too of course. But if you're queuing an event to occur such as an icon and a sound file, then inside that event function could also be animations for whatever it is you want your soldier to appear to be doing, even if it's while standing in place. An example would be to do a rifle butt smash animation. I know -- you know already. ;)

Keep up the good work BFC.