Any audio innovatons planned?

MikeyD

I recall back last century when I first heard the old CMBO demo in action I was totally blown away. It was like the sounds were placed right 'in' the environment! Since they're planning to totally redo every other aspect of the game I was wondering, what could they include to improve on the audio part of CMx2?

Comparing CM to other games, the first thing that comes to mind is volume controls. I suspect A lot of people will want to turn the explosions up to maximum and the region-specific bird calls down to minimum.

Next, might be radio traffic used as audio cues. Something linked to relative spotting, so we might hear "This is [call sign]. [enemy unit type] just spotted around [map cooridinate]". I admit this feature might be a bit one sided for us non-Arab speakers. Syrian radio chatter might might not hav the same tactical impact. Maybe just use it for the U.S.-only campaign? This feature also implies we'd have (pull down?) access to a gridded map to locate units. So this feature might actually involve too much dedicated coding to expect in the game.

[ December 14, 2005, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

I recall in that old old movie (Red Dawn?) about America being invaded (Patrick Swayze's finest acting effort -cough cough) that the in-theater cut showed a distant hillside going up in flames followed a few seconds later by the boom of the explosion. By the time the film made it onto TV the flash and boom matched-up. I guess the time delay was realistic from a physics point of view, but movie audiences had a 'movie-expectation' about explosions and noises that simply HAD to be honored. Like all those 'explosions in space' we have to sit though in the movies these days.