how do you load the 5.0 patch?

Download the patch into a temporary folder. I created a folder called "patches" in the cmbo directory because there are so many patches (thank you BTS). Then double click the icon and you will be given the opportunity to chose where the patch will be "unpacked" - as it isn't a zip file. I chose to have it place the patch file in the same temporary folder. After chosing the cmbo/patches folder as the destination for the patch files, click continue. You will then see a folder with the 1.05 patch. Then open the folder and read the read.me file for further instructions. If you have never upgraded since 1.01, then copy the bmp files to the bmp folder and the wav file to the wav folder. Then replace the old exe file with the new one (the one with the tank icon). This is very important - if you don't do this you will not be running 1.05.

BTW: You called it a PBEM patch. PBEM stands for Play By E-Mail, wich is how you play against human opponents until BTS finishes the TCP/IP upgrade. PBEM has nothing to do with the patch, although with previous patches both players had to be running the same version of CM.

------------------

Ow, my leg!

[This message has been edited by Pvt. Ryan (edited 08-25-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Pvt. Ryan (edited 08-25-2000).]

Then replace the old exe file with the new one (the one with the tank icon). This is very important - if you don't do this you will not be running 1.05.

Do you mean I need to trash the old exe file and replace it with the new one? I have 1.02. I remember reading the readme file for 1.04 that all I had to do wash drag the exe file while holding the shift key to the folder (never had a chance to even download .04).

Eric

Pvt. Ryan's instructions are quite complete. On the PC when you launch the CM105.EXE file you will get the PKZIP self-extractor dialog box. The default directory is "C:\" (if you don't change anything then you will extract a directory - C:\CM V.1.05 UPDATE - this is where the update files will be). If you click the "Finish" button then you will have a directory called "cm v.1.05 update". In here will be the "combatmission.exe" executable, a readme file and a directory of BMPs for the catastrophic explosion. If you're running 1.01 or later, then you will already have these files in your BMP directory for CM.

Find the "cm v.1.05 update" directory and hightlight the "combatmission.exe" file. You can either press Shift+drag the file to the C:\PROGRAM FILES\CMBO directory (which will move the file) or you can press Ctrl+drag and this will copy the file (and leave the original in the "cm v.1.05 update" directory/folder). When you do either you will get a dialog box asking if you want to overwrite the "combatmission.exe" file - Say YES. You are replacing your original/current version of CM with this latest patch (which is the complete executable). In essence you are replacing the whole program (other than the bitmaps, sounds and scenarios).

When you start CM you should see the "v.1.05" in the lower right hand corner of the initial splash screen (that has "Play Game", etc.). Subsequent screens don't show the version number.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 08-26-2000).]

Greetings to all.Sorry to continue this further,but does this patch only refer to the Full Game? Ive d\ld it and tried to apply it to the Demo but it wont overwrite the "Combat Mission" File.And the only reference to "Combat Mission.exe"is on the download. The file in 'C'Drive' calls it "C-Combat Mission"-Application File.Us newbies are a real pain in the posterior,arent we?