Vehicle sounds and idling?

Apache

Some time ago I had a game called Steel Beasts which I never really got into BUT the sounds of the Abrams' when their engines were fired up (or even when at the idle with just the 'electrics' ticking over) were superb. Presumably BF will be giving the normal attention to detail to the vehicle sounds? Also, when putting vehicles into the CM equivalent of 'Hide' (if there will be such an option) will there be a noticeble shut down in engine noise (just so I can continually start them up again :) )?

Steel Beasts is an amazing game.

I shelled out $125 for the PE version last year redface.gif

As to the 'hide' question

From talking to M1 tankers, and I could be wrong here.

But I do not think you can idle those engines.

As I understand it, the engine has the same power output the entire time the engine is running.

The only difference is how much power the driver wishes to use.

A diesel engine on the other hand, like what you find in the Leopard can be idled.

However from talking to Leopard tankers, the engines in modern tanks are so powerful that in order to 'hide' they turn the engines completly off.

The engines can be restarted quickly in the event of danger or needing to move.

I know CMSF will not model it. But diesel engines have another huge advantage over the turbine engine found in the M1.

Fuel consumption.

The M1 uses a incredible 50 gph no matter if the tank is 'ideling' or traveling at top speed.

The Leopard on the other hand uses 50 gph if it is traveling at top speed, but only 5 gph if idled.

America is the only nations with the logistics and fuel resources to feed such a ineffcient tank.

M1 tankers defend the turbine engine to their deaths.

But I really wonder if the Abrams had a traditional diesel engine if performance would be any different.

Most modern tanks have similar mobillity to the Abrams but use far less fuel.

Food for thought.

Im sure the M1 tankers on this forum will give me hell now redface.gif

The tank is an amazing piece of weaponary with virtualy no flaws and an amazing combat record.

But since its now my job to deal with the resource side of war, I have to wonder if the turbine engine is all that nessacary.

Usually, if you are in defense, hull-down in a battle position, the engine can be shut down, but for short periods of time. All the electronics use a lot of power, and last thing in battle you want is dead batteries.

BTW, when a platoon of tanks is together, they all start their engines at the same time, otherwise the enemy can count how many tanks are their by the engine noise.

You could do the same to the enemy. If your engine is running, you cant really hear anyone around you. So you could shut down the engine, listen for enemies.

As to the Turbine, remember that the M1 was created during the 70's and the turbine gave much better performance so they decided to go with it despite the fuel use.

The Next-Gen U.S. tank will have a diesel because the advances with these engines make them a better option than the turbine.

Still, there is nothing quite like the sound of an M1 starting. You expect to see a column of flame shooting out the back and hear the theme from Batman in the background.

I dont know why not.Perhaps because I served on early version of M1A1s so maybe they didnt have APUs yet.And I think M1A2s cant use them

Some good photos here of tanks with APUs

Tanks with APU

Here is a forum posting about it

APUs in combat

Also a blog, check at the buttom of the page

Tank Blog

[ February 23, 2007, 05:55 AM: Message edited by: M1A1TankCommander ]