We Should All Support CMSF

Zemke

Originally posted by Jim Harrison:

If what I heard was right and the WWII mod is small unit tactics with no tanks, then I fear the wailing and gnashing of teeth will commence again. This of course was a rumor tied to someone's interp of what Steve has said in some post???

That little gem must have dropped below the radar. I'd love to see a better treatment of infantry and have the game focus on it to really show it off. BFC have already demonstrated the ability to do the tanks right. Now they can lavish the same level of detail and attention on the poor grunts.

No tanks in a WWII game... hehe... that would be like releasing a FPS game without guns :D Seriously though, of course there will be tanks. It's just that we are spending a larger precentage of our development energy on things other than tanks. Greater degree of infantry modeling, C&C, finer resolution of terrain, complex urban structures, greater realism with off map support assets, etc. All of these things have the effect of enhancing the realism of vehicles, though not necessarily directly.

Oh, and we are indeed making huge improvements to vehicles themselves. It's just that we aren't talking that stuff up as much because we don't think it is nearly as cool as the other stuff :D

Steve

I can't say I'm excited by the concept but I don't begrudge BTS the right to make their own business decisions. I must express my admiration for what a fine business decision this is. By all accounts by far their major market is North America and it doesn't take market research to work out there's plenty of the population chomping at the bit to get to grips with the next Middle Eastern bogeyman. This should be a certain winner. Sure there'll be some spineless windbags banging on about such a politically charged game advocating imperialistic aggression. But I'm sure that from the tenuous line of reasoning that's been advanced as the premise behind the game there'll be no problem convincing the target market at least. I've always been glad to see the success that BTS has had and I'm sure that this one will be a winner, just don't put the UN flag on the box.

One thing I do have reservations about is the name. I'm sure it's been sweated over for hours and admittedly it is well directed to the market but I think it's excerable. Unredeemably tacky dismalness. Lamentably woeful and rotten (how I love the thesaurus). I can't see Dan or Martin coming up with that. It may have been some marketing 'genius' but it seems like the kind or title which would appeal to a menacing enforcer personality, a goon who lurks around doorways and belts people, all in the name of keeping the peace of course!. I can't help but feel that a very large angry (if not before, definitely now) bald man had a big part to play. Thankfully it's been quickly condensed to an acronym. As an aside I was perusing some thread where people were banging on and on about CMSF not being SF, very perplexing. Anyway, in the occasional idle moment I have got some simple enjoyment from CMSF. I'm not really interested in CM:Syrian Fantasy it seems too much to me like CM:Shooting Fish, CM:Smacking Fleas or CM:Slight Fracas. Still I'm sure that CM:Smiting Fanatics will appeal to many and good luck to them.

Anyway, back to the real world, carry on.