Save Games and PBEM Bug

metalbrew

This is the second time this has happened to me. I've run into issues when I save my PBEM orders phase and come back to it later. My opponents complained that the files I sent them prompted them for their password and then dropped them back out to the main CMSF menu.

The first time, well I was inclined to think somehow the file had been corrupted so despite resending the turn zipped up (and that failed too) I just replayed the whole turn and generated a new PBEM file for my opponent.

This time around I'm more suspicious. I've seen occasional PBEM file corruption (I think there's something about PBEM files that some email clients occasionally interpret as a text file and encode it wrong) that is solved by zipping the turn and resending.

I have the PBEM files saved if BFC would like to see them. I'm sure my opponent would share their password with BFC too if it would help resolve the issue. It's sometimes tough on big or complicated maps to complete the orders phase in 1 sitting so being able to reliably save the orders phase and come back to it later would be nice.

I play a lot of PBEM. All the transfer trouble I've had is of my own doing.

Sending the wrong file. I sent the Inbound email to my partner...forgot to change from the inbound to out bound folder. Check the number of the files you send. Depending on who started the game it's either odd or even (I know, I know) What was the number of the file you sent? And by the way: if you replay your turn the number will change...need to delete any suspect file before replay a turn.

Corrupted files solution: start zipping your files is often helpful. But here's the thing that REALLY worked for me: I stopped using the handy email download button and click directly on the file, instead. Since I started doing that, zipped or unzipped no more corrupted files. And ANY of my partners will attest to my bitching and request for re-sends!

PBEM still has known issues regarding QB/PBEM. But my experience sending many turns is the games method is not an issue My use of the method, well THAT was the issue.

Mark,

Seriously, read my post and ask yourself if anything you wrote has any bearing on the problem I'm reporting. I don't mean this to sound harsh, I really don't. I know you're trying to help.

Every single time I identify an issue I have to fend off people who think I'm some lightweight newbie crying about how my Javelins aren't firing because I didn't grab the CLU as well. I've finished the campaign 4 times. I've finished 50+ PBEM games. I've played this game a bit.

Each time I post an issue I feel like I've made a big mistake even trying to contribute. It just takes too much energy to provide full credentials each time you find something, because as soon as you fail to issue 101 disclaimers with your post you're going to get flooded with RTFM, or "use forum search", or you feel compelled to steer your own thread back onto track after someone posts advice that has nothing to do with the reported issue.

Also, as a side issue, the problem with corrupted email files is 100% due to bad MIME encoding by the email client. It's not really BFC's problem or fault, but they could probably improve the PBEM format and this would completely go away. Occasionally the game generates a PBEM file that has enough similarities to a text file that email programs wrongly guess it's text and do not properly encode the binary file for sending via SMTP. I understand the specific cause of the corrupted email issue very well. ...but, this is not the issue I'm reporting.

I am having a specific issue when I save during an orders phase of my turn and restore the savegame later. When this is done, the game often generates a PBEM file that is unplayable by my opponent. I don't know exactly how frequently this happens, but in my personal experience both times I've tried saving my orders and coming back to them later, my PBEM game has broken and I have to back up a turn to move on.