WEGO v RT

The new command system seem to me to be the greatest impediment to RT play, having to shuffle menus is a nightmare. If each command had a specific intuative key (F for fast, Q for quick, etc.) tied to it (as CMx1) it would be easier, but now every command requires you to change menus before issuing the appropriate order. Make a mistake and that target order you thought you issued turns out to be a fatal move command you had no intention of issuing, meantime you've rushed across the map to command another unit. This is less likely in 'turn based' games but the pressure of RT means it's a constant annoyance.

Originally posted by wunwinglow:

I must say I'd rather have the one single menu, even if it was longer, than the multiple ones provided, but I know BF are very proud of this new 'feature' so it won't get changed now....

/agree

I feel that much of the simple elegance that was Combat Mission has left us. I am waiting for the 1.04/1.05 Demo to be released and I plan to try and "get it" once again.

Originally posted by Sgt_K:

The new command system seem to me to be the greatest impediment to RT play, having to shuffle menus is a nightmare. If each command had a specific intuative key (F for fast, Q for quick, etc.) tied to it (as CMx1) it would be easier, but now every command requires you to change menus before issuing the appropriate order. Make a mistake and that target order you thought you issued turns out to be a fatal move command you had no intention of issuing, meantime you've rushed across the map to command another unit. This is less likely in 'turn based' games but the pressure of RT means it's a constant annoyance.

Here's my hotkeys.txt file:

http://othermeans.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/hotkeys.txt

Save that page as hotkeys.txt, back up your old one and replace with mine.

It suits me and is probably closer to what you want than the stock one.

Tell me how you get on with it smile.gif

I kind of see the difficult interface as a built in command delay.

Since I have started playing RT I have caught myself getting too focused on one part of the battle only to turn around and notice that things have gone to crap elsewhere. For anything much above a company I prefer WEGO. Mainly for my PC though. Some really big stuff is just impossible to play RT.