Stryker Survivability Far Too Low

DaveDash

I thought I'd give this a bump to see BFC's thoughts on the matter, now that Steve is back.

From a game point of view, I'm quite happy to have the mechanics be what they are now, but being a realism fan, having RPG-7's toast your squads and strykers ruins the 'suspension of disbelief' for me a little. I'm not asking for super invincible U.S. troops, just a more accurate reflection of U.S. survivability focus when it comes to vehicle design.

Im also not too fussed if something like this is waaay down the priority list ;)

Originally posted by DaveDash:

I thought I'd give this a bump to see BFC's thoughts on the matter, now that Steve is back.

. I'm not asking for super invincible U.S. troops, just a more accurate reflection of U.S. survivability focus when it comes to vehicle design.

this is not an unreasonable request..

smile.gif

In general I'm not giving out details of v1.05, but I will confirm that Charles looked into this and found reason to revise the overall handling of crew survivability. Generally this means that upon closer inspection he found some sort of blind spot that could pose problems, and therefore decided to close it up with a generalized fix instead of tweaking what was already there.

It is interesting to note that often weak spots in a section of the sim are there for months, if not years, without being noticed because they come up too infrequently to notice. Then some other bit of code gets changed and suddenly what was once rare becomes common. I for one noticed a change in survivability behavior since v1.04, but I thought it was just my bad luck. However, this discussion prompted us to review the code and sure enough... there was reason to make changes.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

In general I'm not giving out details of v1.05, but I will confirm that Charles looked into this and found reason to revise the overall handling of crew survivability. Generally this means that upon closer inspection he found some sort of blind spot that could pose problems, and therefore decided to close it up with a generalized fix instead of tweaking what was already there.

It is interesting to note that often weak spots in a section of the sim are there for months, if not years, without being noticed because they come up too infrequently to notice. Then some other bit of code gets changed and suddenly what was once rare becomes common. I for one noticed a change in survivability behavior since v1.04, but I thought it was just my bad luck. However, this discussion prompted us to review the code and sure enough... there was reason to make changes.

Steve

I just need to say WOW! Great feedback and follow-through. I personally don't care for the new game a great deal, though i respect the effort and vision. But only a fool wouldn't see you guys are gems in the world of game company forums.

Well done.

• 2 weeks later...