Battles Rushed?

I've just started making my first scenario and read in the manual how each battle should have a Strategic Map image, an Operational Map image and a Tactical Map image. Thankfully there is an export function so you can get these images from existing battles if you want to save some time.

However, guess how many existing battles use them? Hardly any! This rather adds to the suspicion that some things were kind of thrown together last minute. Sorry BFC but I'm surprised images in so many battle briefings are not present. Will they be added in a future patch?

I have one more question. Is there any way to have units exit the map across a particular map edge to earn victory points?

[ August 03, 2007, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Cpl Steiner ]

I just finished my first 'proper' scenario and made a point of including images for all the relevant maps. I had particular fun with the tactical map, concocting an IR drone overflight photo of the area with individual troops picked out as 'hot spots' on the photo for the blue side. The Red Tactical map got a few 'cel phone pict' of the assembling Blue force from a handy Syrian spy. smile.gif

I'm not sure but one reason for not consistently including maps might've been that some scenario designers simply didn't have the capability for making release quality 170x170 pixel BMP format files and were dependant on the kindness of others to supply them. There were certainly enough stern warnings to get your maps & commands in place by XX date or-else! :rolleyes:

I think there's currently no CMx1-style map exit but BFC's got an impressive to-do list for evolving the game. No telling what's going to show up as patches/modules arrive.

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

However, guess how many existing battles use them? Hardly any!

OMG!!!1111 BTS fix or do somefink! Teh game is BROKEN without operational and strategic maps for every scenario! The only reason I got interested in this game was that I could spend hours in the briefing screen looking at the map of Syria.

This rather adds to the suspicion that some things were kind of thrown together last minute.

And this adds to my suspicion that you are whining just because you can.

Sorry BFC but I'm surprised images in so many battle briefings are not present.

You are easy to surprise, I've got to say that.

Will they be added in a future patch?

No. Just get over it.

To answer your question, Strategic and Operational maps are meant for campaigns, although that space can be used for more than one purpose. To show racks, for instance. But tell me, what would be the purpose to have an operational or strategic map in a scenario that is situated in a fictional location? Education? "Oh wow, now I know where Al Fubar is!" :rolleyes:

MikeyD,

Nice scenario! I hope to play it when it is finished.

The scenario I am working on is really just an experiment with AI scripting and asymetrical objectives in order to simulate an Iraqi Insurgent IED attack on a Humvee. Blue Force receives points for each stretch of road they reach (to encourage them to follow orders and drive down the road rather than just go immediately off-road) and for surviving. Red Force receives points for destroying the Humvee and its passengers. 1 player can play against the computer as either Blue or Red, thanks to the AI scripting making the Humvee head down the road. Despite the rather macabre premise for the scenario, it is quite interesting to see the different results possible. For instance, if Blue force survive but fail to secure the road objectives they lose for not following orders. Presumably HQ would prefer one smashed Humvee to a blown up supply convoy! I have managed to get a map of Iraq and a map of a section of road north of Baghdad into the mission, both taken from Wikipedia, and its starting to look quite good.

Originally posted by Sergei:

And this adds to my suspicion that you are whining just because you can.

Bloody hell have you been drinking or something! What was that for! I just made an observation that the stand-alone battles would have looked more professional and "finished" with maps, as the games own manual states. What the hell is wrong with that!

I just made an observation that the stand-alone battles would have looked more professional and "finished" with maps, as the games own manual states. What the hell is wrong with that!

Making out of the blue claims is different than making observations. Especially when those claims make a hyperbole out of an extremely minor point.

Originally posted by Sergei:

Making out of the blue claims is different than making observations. Especially when those claims make a hyperbole out of an extremely minor point.

I work in games software in the QA department so forgive me if your idea of "minor" isn't so minor to me. I don't like it when people say I should just shut up and accept that lots of stuff in the game just wasn't put in due to time constraints. If you aren't bothered then good for you but don't expect everyone else to be.

Sorry BFC but I'm surprised images in so many battle briefings are not present. Will they be added in a future patch?

My personal opinion is that there's no reason why the scen files can't be brought to completion at some future point; not sure what BFC's stance is. I like the new format with the pictures. I know we lobbied for a long time in CMX1 to be able to include tac maps and stuff in the briefings. Lots of other stuff to test at the moment - TacAI issues being on the list as Steve pointed out, but it would be nice to see the scen files all formatted consistently when the chance arises.

Have you had a chance to fool with the editor yourself, by the way? I can't remember if you're much into designing stuff yourself or not. Any other impressions?

I concur with Cpl Steiner, would have been nice to see maps etc. added. Considering this was possible it's a sort of missing.

True it's not a "major" bug or something, but just a little detail missing. This isn't an excuse though, since those scenarios presented in the final game version to us should represent the best of the best you can dig out from the game.

About realistic/unrealistic and made up locations... "where is Al Fubar"... well, keep in mind that "immersion" and such is quite relevant in a game.. maps in this case would have helped a lot.

MikeD's ideas for maps sound really great! If they were a standard in the actual game would have been better or worst?