infantry squad anti-tank weapons.

LAW80 has approx 600mm of penetration against RHA according to the manual, which probably puts it on a par or just behind the MBT LAW (UK AT4 CS HP variant) in terms of punch.

In terms of back-blast, you need decent clearance and certainly would not consider firing from inside a confined space such as a building or bunker; otherwise, no dramas.

Live fired (full-warhead) against a Ferret hulk at 200m - awesome - absolutely battered it.

All relatively pointless though as the MBT LAW is now the standard issue MLAW for UK forces.

cassh, LAW80 has a bit more oomph than that. I've seen figures as high as 750mm RHAe quoted. Granted, the sources were a bit biased, but I'd hope that they knew. Jane's has it as 650mm+, IIRC.

MBT LAW is the SAAB-Bofors NLAW weapon, which is an inertially guided top-attack weapon. The AT4 CS HP is the Interim LAW, (ILAW) until the MBT LAW enters service in 2008. Or 2009. Or 2010.

Most sources I've seen quote the HP AT4 at 550mm, or better than 500mm, including the Manufacturer's website. It is also shorter ranged - 300-400m rather than 500m for the LAW80 - and doesn't have a built-in spotting rifle. It is, however three kilos lighter and can be fired from confined spaces without seriously injurious effects.

Well, this past weekend I found out AT-4s don't do squat against reactive armor. I knew that before I tried it, but I was hoping for a bug of somefink because I really, really needed them to work :D Fortunately an Apache immobilized it with cannon fire. Unfortunately, the main gun still worked and it had LOS to my position. Very unfortuntely...

Steve

And just when I doubted that APILAS would be actually too large and cumbersome to haul around in the battlefield... Those RPG-29 gunners must be swearing like demons when they have to quickly crawl somewhere in a full combat gear, hauling their weapons with them.

Originally posted by mav1:

I don't know much about modern weapons, does the javelin make the tank obsolete?

Another question I have is can a T72 or a T62 penetrate the front of a abrams or challenger tank?

No, of course not. If you're a Syrian player going against an enemy unit with Javelins, proper tactics will help you negate the Javelin's advantage. A suppressed Javelin gunner is an ineffective Javelin gunner.