"ATGM Ambush" scenario

Has anyone played it from Syrian side? As I played it I destroyed all tanks and there were just a few american allied solders left. They kept crawling forward. My syrian squads on the hill kept firing but 10 minutes before the end they just stopped firing and sat there, while one allied solder crawling and shooting managed to kill 6 of my men. My men just sat there and where not returning fire. And they were not suppressed.

Is this a Bug or was I doing something wrong.

Guys, this could be my fault. I actually made that scenario to test fire the Syrian ATGMs, so the AI and victory conditions may need some tweaking. Some of the beta testers found it fun and a good training scenario for the Syrians, so we decided to include it. I will take a look at this one again and post an update if so!

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Guys, this could be my fault. I actually made that scenario to test fire the Syrian ATGMs, so the AI and victory conditions may need some tweaking. Some of the beta testers found it fun and a good training scenario for the Syrians, so we decided to include it. I will take a look at this one again and post an update if so!

Dan, I don't see how it could be your fault. When squad of men is being fired upon by one solder crawling, who is killing them one by one - why would they not fire back?

Originally posted by dima:

Dan, I don't see how it could be your fault. When squad of men is being fired upon by one solder crawling, who is killing them one by one - why would they not fire back?

Dima, its likely becuase I told the AI to rush the objective, so they are pushing forward as quickly as possible with little concern for casulites. In hind sight that is probably an order better suited for combatants for instance. I will check it out though, and pass on any other oddities to Chalres smile.gif

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dima:

Dima, its likely becuase I told the AI to rush the objective, so they are pushing forward as quickly as possible with little concern for casulites. In hind sight that is probably an order better suited for combatants for instance. I will check it out though, and pass on any other oddities to Chalres smile.gif </font>

So US solder was crawling to objective and shooting my guys and they just sat there.

Okay, I had it back to front. smile.gif If you happen to have a save of that could you please send it too me, if not I will try and replicate the issue on my end. Thanks for the info dima!

[ July 28, 2007, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Originally posted by AdamL:

Not seen that one, but I am having a hard time keeping the Syrian teams from being spotted from the Blue setup zones. (?)

Noticed that as well. Even hiding the Bradleys could spot them. First time I played it I was thinking like a WWII commander and was waiting for the Americans to move close in and catch them in a cross fire. Second time I just ordered the ATGMs to fire at a distance and they killed the Bradleys very easily. They were also useful on the infantry squads.

Dan, here is the savegame.

http://upload2.net/page/download/DOPfkl8glpreGXZ/ATGM+Ambush+-atgm-no-fire.zip.html

In this savegame look at the ATGM team to the right (facing enemy). They don't shoot.

Some comments

1) Apperently Hide+Target arc does not work - unit just lies there even when tanks are within the arc

2) Even Target Arc does not work. I Unhide my ATGM's and all they did is rotate towards target. For 2 turns they lied there looking at the tanks that are within their arc and not shooting.

3) Finally tanks spot them and destroyed.

Dan, here is the savegame.

http://upload2.net/page/download/DOPfkl8glpreGXZ/ATGM+Ambush+-atgm-no-fire.zip.html

In this savegame look at the ATGM team to the right (facing enemy). They don't shoot.

Some comments

1) Apperently Hide+Target arc does not work - unit just lies there even when tanks are within the arc

2) Even Target Arc does not work. I Unhide my ATGM's and all they did is rotate towards target. For 2 turns they lied there looking at the tanks that are within their arc and not shooting.

3) Finally tanks spot them and destroyed.

I've noticed the same problem with the targeting arcs (and hide combination) in other scenarios (such as the Ambush tutorial). The men stay hidden and do not pop up to fire at the enemy infantry in the street below.

Steve

I played it from the Blue side,

1st time playing CMSF, blundered into the ambush, lost 50% of my forces;

2nd time, after playing the training campaign and a few other scenarios, keeping my bradleys behind cover and using Javelin equipped teams to spot, totally wiped out the syrians in a hail of 25mm chainguns and Javelins with only two wounded as casualties.

As other have pointed out, if US forces are used properly, they are nearly invincible, if you don't know what you are doing, they are dead meat.