Sound Effects

Hi,

A couple of days ago I saw a really cool documentary on the BBC about a unit of Brit Marines patrolling Afghanistan's Helmand province in lightly armoured "land-rover" style recon vehicles.

When the vehicles came under fire the sound of bullets whizzing over the heads of the occupants was very noticeable. You couldn't mistake the fact that the vehicles were being fired on even though no bullets actually struck them.

I also remember the game "Operation Flashpoint" had bullet "near-miss" (or should that be "near-hit") sound effects that were quite effective.

I hope very much that CM:SF uses this sort of effect as well. CMx1 showed the dust from bullet impacts and had bullets pinging off the sides of vehicles but I don't think it had sound effects for near-misses. Having mainly near-misses with the odd bullet impact would be more realistic IMHO, especially at the longer ranges.

"...the sound of bullets whizzing over the heads of the occupants was very noticeable."

Even I a non-hunting, non-military urban city dweller, have had the occasional pleasure of hearing bullets whizzing overhead (God bless New Haven Connecticutt!). It certainly is a distinct sound. Seems like a pretty easy thing to recreate. Just take your tape recorder off into the Maine woods one chilly morning and try to snipe the microphone from a distance :D