How do I take a screenshot?

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

why would BFC include a feature that is available for free elsewhere? You are aware Charles will code in the screen capture function with time originally allocated to implementing the accurate Canadian OOBs? :rolleyes:

So I don't have to run two different pieces of software concurrently? Bad enough we need ten different spyware programs these days in addition to seperate drivers for all the hardware, iTunes, MSN messenger, Sergei's Gay Pride Home Calendar Program, blah blah blah....my understanding is that the new engine will be pushing system resources as it is - a good thing, surely, but why burden the system with running a seperate application, especially if CMX2 is the only thing one would need it for?

Doesn't really matter; don't take screenshots all that often anyway - the artists would probably be more interested, or big time AAR writers. Just thought I would throw it out for Steve's et al consideration since that is what this forum is ostensibly for.

[ October 04, 2005, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

I agree with the Chief Grog here. Even though there's free software out there, I never bothered to download and install it. It's just way more convenient if the feature is already in the game, and should be a fairly "standard" code exercise for an experienced coder.

Also, more important, such a feature might allow you to disable interface or other stuff that gets in the way of a good screenshot, contrary to external programs.

You guys are nuts! Even for a relatively simple feature (and I do not think you would want to say that within earshot of Charles) it would be a mind boggling waste of resources. Keep in mind that we here form the hard core of users, most others would never even dream of taking a screenie. By Hades, most of us only do so for ROW AARs and even then it is a minority who do so, I think.

Programming time is limited so to include this something would need to get be dropped from the `to do` list. That might be blastwaves you guys are bumping off! :mad: :mad: :mad: And all this for a feature that is already possible with free software. Simply because you guys are too lazy to use Irfanview? Again: :rolleyes:

You guys are nuts! Even for a relatively simple feature (and I do not think you would want to say that within earshot of Charles) it would be a mind boggling waste of resources.

I didn't realize (Assuming they are using OpenGL) that 20 lines of code for implementing a screen scrape function was 'mind boggling'

Seriously - this isn't rocket science...

Considering it is a near useless feature used by nearly none of the customers... Yes, some boggling of minds would definitely be involved.

I'm apologize. Just because you had no clue what is involved with the small amount of coding required to take a screenshot, I also assumed you hadn't done an extensive poll on how many customers would use this functionality.

My bad.

Originally posted by Lars:

Er, did I miss somfink or did the PrintScrn button quit working?

If you hit PrintScrn twice, it doesn't save two screenshots to memory. So, if you want to, say, save pictures for an AAR or otherwise want to take several shots, you have to alt-tab out of Combat Mission every time to save the screenshot.

Many games have this as an integrated feature, so that when you press eg. F11, the screen is saved to the game directory.

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lars:

Er, did I miss somfink or did the PrintScrn button quit working?

If you hit PrintScrn twice, it doesn't save two screenshots to memory. So, if you want to, say, save pictures for an AAR or otherwise want to take several shots, you have to alt-tab out of Combat Mission every time to save the screenshot.

Many games have this as an integrated feature, so that when you press eg. F11, the screen is saved to the game directory. </font>

Thank you Mr.Dorosh for the kind offer allowing me to not use such a redundant feature. What ever would have become of me if I was tempted, nay, forced to use it!

I can only reciprocate in kind: You are free to not use the product of the alleged 20 lines of code should they not be allocated to a screen capture function. No blastwaves for you, Mr Dorosh.