Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Gun stabilizers

Hi all,

As I've started playing around with tank engagements in the game, I've noticed that the gun of the M1 Abrams is completely unstabilised in CM:SF at the moment. It would be better if when moving across country the gun remained locked-on to some point on the horizon whilst the tank pitched up and down over the uneven surface.

Originally posted by Chainsaw:

same goes for sideways, when a tank turns the turret doesnt stay on target, but rotates along with the hull (staying at 2 o clock all the way) and first when the tank stops turning the turret reverse back to target, wich can be some faital seconds.

Yeah, I noticed that too. As far as I'm aware, the M1 gun can be laid onto a target and the gunnery control computer will activate the turret motors to keep it on target without the crew doing anything.

Actually the gun itself isn't stabilized. The sight is, and even then it is only in one axis. They use software tricks to fool the computer into thinking it is completely stable. That's why you will see the gun bouncing around. The fire control computer will only allow the gun to fire when it is aligned correctly.

The turret should stay pointed at the target though. There is some pretty neat footage of the Abrams hull doing doughnuts while the turret stays locked in position.

If you're going to "fix" this, please keep in mind that stabilization is only worth a crap on *relatively* smooth terrain.

Once you're on anything not *relatively* smooth, stabilization goes out the window. This comes from personal experience being a M2A3 gunner during GW1.

Maybe they've improved cross-country stabilization since then (and heck, it's been 18yrs, so perhaps so), but....

I'd hate to see vehicles become GODLY in their ability to go FAST over rough terrain and still put rounds on target.

It'd be a crying shame to see over-stabilization integrated into the engine. So PLEASE get the research done right before any significant fixing.

As far as I know the effectiveness wont change (i.e. stab is already “built in” to the “to hit“ ability calculations).

What is being looked at is the graphical depiction, i.e. the barrel remaining laid on to the target as the rest of the vehicle moves around it, as opposed to the current model where the barrel bounces up and down with the vehicle as if in the “travel lock”.