Trench graphics drop out at mid-distance

c3k

Gents,

I've had a problem with the trench graphics dropping out at a mid-distance. Up close, they look fine. Far out, they look okay. In between, they don't exist.

I've had this issue for some time. The following are from v1.08. (Operating an nvidia 8800gtx; best/best graphics toggles.)

Screenshots...

Overhead shot to orient on the next view:

Trenchoverhead.jpg

This is taken from the white circle, above:

Missingtrench.jpg

As I said, I've had this for some time. It occurs in every trench in every scenario. It affects gameplay because the distance I place target lines onto trench zones is right where the trench cloaks itself and disappears.

Does anyone else notice this effect?

Thanks,

Ken

I have the same thing with trenches, but also with grass - up close it looks fine, but disappears after, I don't know, maybe fifty metres. Move the camera forward and it starts to reappear.

But I think this is a feature, not a bug, designed to save processor power/help keep the framerate down by not having too much detail at any one time and, to a certain extent, simulate the real life lack of visual clarity one gets at distance.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

FYI I got a Nvidia 7950GT, E6600 Core 2 Duo, 2Gig RAM and have in-game graphics settings on max.

[ April 26, 2008, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: handihoc ]

handihoc,

I'm not sure about features. In the second screenshot I posted the up-close trenches are in 3D. The far-away trenches appear to be 2D. I think that's a great way to save processing; if it only appears 2D because of a level of detail decrease, that's just as good. What seems "off" is the drop out in between the two types of depiction.

I'll have to check to see if I have drop-out with grasses.

Thanks,

Ken

Thomm,

Another related issue. The LOD seems to include shadows, roads, shellholes, and flavor objects as well as trenches. Interestingly, the trenches disappear as the others appear.

It's a pretty hard break-off line. In my top screenshot it's the area delineated by the series of red dots.

Sometimes I am able to get the details to stay as I move away. I need to start close, wait for several seconds for the rendering to complete, then I can raise the camera position. If I do that, and do not change the field of view too much, the trench graphics stay visible. I know that sounds a bit confusing.

Regards,

Ken