Edge of the Table Effect

Originally posted by Drusus:

Would it be possible to add to the scenarios areas where units aren't allowed to go? This could be used for the map edge problem if the scenario designer so chooses, or it could be used for other stuff. Like there is a hospital somewhere on the map or just orders from higher levels of command.

This sounds like a very good idea with multiple uses.

I am not too worried about the edge of the world but perhaps areas off the map where retreat or reinforcements etc could be placed. It would take 5 turns to get from one off board box to the map but they would have no terrain and just be a holding box (including no fighting).

If it took x amnount of turns to get from the holding box to the main map, you could counter edge creep and create a basis for CMx2 Campaigns.

Just a thought.

I'm for the giant index finger of God popping out of the sky and pish-tooking the troops / vehicles back into the play area.

Can you think of a better solution? I thought not. It's because God is perfect, therefore God's index finger is perfect, therefore any system of moving troops via Gods index finger must also be perfect.

I'm telling you... PISH-TOOK!!!!

Now, forget American versus European birds, what colour should God's index finger be? White? Brownish tan? Black?

Like several other aspects of the new game engine we've had all these exotic fantasies about terrain generation in CMx2 (like scrolling real-world high resolution topographic maps based on satellite data?). When we finally discover the end product is going to more-or-less resemble CMx1 (boards-with-edges) it actually comes as a kind of a relief! I don't know about you, but I rather liked CMx1. The concept that CMx2 will bear even a passing resemblance to CMx1 is considered good news. My worst fear was that the game would be ruined by too many gratuitous attempts to be 'clever'.

Having said that, I think I'll fire-up CMBB for a rock-em-sock-em game after supper tonight :D