What is the story on Video Cards?

What is the latest, and greatest on the video card market for the new, as well as the old, CM games. I currently have a 1.4 Athlon Thunderbird with 256 of DDR Ram. My video card i am using right now is a 16 meg Voodoo Banshee that i purchased about three years ago, it works fine but i will need to up-grade. Any help out there!!

I have the Leadtek GeForce3 TI200 and it is great. I had a GeForce 2 before, so there is not much improvement on CMBO, but there sure is a noticeable difference on other games such as Operation Flashpoint and Medal of Honor. The card enables me to crank the graphics options all the way up. The Titanium 200 cards go for around $160 to $200. I got mine at www.newegg.com

The most powerful in the GeForce 3 line is the Titanium 500, which goes for $300 to $350, but are tough to find right now. Several companies make these cards but they all use the same NVidia chips, so performance is nearly identical. The difference is the outputs (s-video, DVI) and the bundled software.

It is my understanding that NVidia announces its new chips in the spring, so you might want to wait to see what happens. You will likely see a price drop on the current cards when the new ones come out.

The top of the line Radeon cards are of comparable performance to the GeForce 3s, but I don't think they support fog effects.

The GeForce 3's will do fog just fine. It's the ATI Radeons (and earlier chipset families), including the latest 8500 that don't support fog tables in DirectX (they work for RAVE on the Mac though).

Interestingly enough the Radeon 8500 and/or the latest beta-level hardware from ATI - the R300 - is the hardware reference for DirectX 9 (or so I hear); fog-table support notwithstanding (but don't take that to mean that fog-tables dont' work with DirectX 9).