CMx2 weather.

fog

more fog

There doesn't seem to have been much discusssion of advanced or improved weather in CM:sf or CMx2 in general, so I thought I'd make some suggestions of things worth considering.

First fog, not just overall levels, but patchy fog, that can both move and change in intensity throughout a game. Also there is a fog in hollows or half way up hills so that parts of the map are clear but lower or higher parts in mist. equally general fog can roll in froma direction, or burn off as the sun gets up.

Rain, what about it changing in intensity and or direction during a scenario. Certainly in the tropics in the space of less than 30 minutes (a CM scenario time scale) it can be dry then be a down pour and finally leave a low mist rising from the ground.

Snow, well this can like rain change in intensity, and direction which can have a real effect from the point of view of shelter. and even if it didn't effect combat I'd love to see that effect where the wind blows snow off the surface around peoples ankles.

Thought people.

Peter.

Peter Cairns,

You should see the stuff we get in the South Bay area of Los Angeles. Nothing. Nothing. Wham! Can't see a thing for a couple of hundred feet, then suddenly everything's as clear as the proverbial bell again. What you show there is all-encompassing by comparison. I do like your ideas for improved and variable weather modeling.

Regards,

John Kettler

I knew someone from Lebanon who said a short drive into the coastal mountains could take you from beach conditions to ski slopes at certain times of the year! And every once in awhile you see pictures of Israeli soldiers on the Golan digging out from one major snowstorm or another. BFC said they were doing this theater first so they could load-up all the capabilities they'ld possibly need, then for other times and other places they'd simply drop what wasn't appropriate (WWII Pacific probably wouldn't need a capability for snow or ATGMs).

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

do they have fog (or that KIND of fog) in Syria?

I had thought it was pretty dry climate?

Theres fog like that on the Israeli Occuppied side of the Golan Heights. It gets very thick and patchy in the evenings. I haven't seen it quite like that on the Syrian side, but it does rain a lot in the winter months and just got a dump of snow last week but it never lasts more than a few days. Again this is near the Golan Heights.

Have to simulate the smog that comes out of Damascus though! Its nasty.

Originally posted by Carbon-14:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

do they have fog (or that KIND of fog) in Syria?

I had thought it was pretty dry climate?

Theres fog like that on the Israeli Occuppied side of the Golan Heights. It gets very thick and patchy in the evenings. I haven't seen it quite like that on the Syrian side, but it does rain a lot in the winter months and just got a dump of snow last week but it never lasts more than a few days. Again this is near the Golan Heights.

Have to simulate the smog that comes out of Damascus though! Its nasty. </font>