Oh Boy...

I just finished playing my 2nd game since installing the 1.03 patch. I was playing on Wadi Scouts, enjoying the much-improved pathfinding and combat in real-time. At about 16:00 left in the battle I'm just starting to exploit a breakthrough when...

<FLASH>

CM:SF has encountered a problem and needs to close.

No autosave or anything.

I'm not trying to dog Battlefront because I have high hopes for this game and 1.03 is a huge improvement. I'm unfortunately getting close to giving up hope though. :(

What level of FOW were you playing?

someone at BFC will be keen to try to replicate that crash if you can give as many specifics as possible? (they may however want to take this weekend off for a change.... and who can blame them.)

FOW?

your System Specs

Paradox or BFC version?

Can you make it crash again at the same time by doing the same thing?

(is it replicate-able? replicable?)

I'm assuming by FOW you mean what difficulty level? I was playing on Veteran difficulty Real-time. I'm running the version that I downloaded here from Battlefront.

I have a 2Ghz Athlon XP with 1GB of RAM. I'm running a 256MB ATI RADEON 9600 and using onboard AC'97 sound. The game was running completely fine up until the crash.

Considering this battle is set for 45 minutes and the crash happened with 16 minutes left, I don't plan on trying to recreate it to see if it's repeatable. I will report if I have any more crashes though.

Also I should note that this is the first time I've had the game CTD on me. I was aggravated with the gameplay problems before this patch and now that many of them seem to be fixed, I'm really hoping this was just a freak thing.

Can you save realtime battles in the middle in case a crash happens? Any chance for an autosave that at least saves every 5 minutes or something being implemented?

[ September 01, 2007, 05:18 AM: Message edited by: DzrtFox ]

FOW is the fog of war level, sure Veteran is the correct answer..

Basic Veteran and Elite are Fog of War levels not necessarilly "difficulty levels" it has more to do with realistic spotting, and reporting and C3/C3 behavoir for each unit.

any way...

I just played Wadi Scouts right through to the bitter end and went 8 mins over time only to lose a minor defeat as the US, because I did not read the mission objectives correctly, but sorry to say it did not crash. :(

No problem, we can't save RealTime battles, the beta testors used to have "debug" version of the game code that would spit out a bug file when carshing in realtime, to track bugs, but I am now playing the same non-debug (release) version as you are, so no sorry there is no save game and no bug file.

The autosave feature is much requested but I understand it is technically imposible at this point (I believe that was the last answer to the auto save feature request)

I might like to suggest you might want to edit the title of your thread and call it "V1.03 crash or game crash or crash to desktop" or something with "crash" in it... ;)

(trust me they do take these things seriously)

thanks for the update

tom w

[ August 31, 2007, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

I've got to say that so far the only crashes we've ever seen since release are related to hardware or software interactions with CM and vice versa. In fact one of our testers reported a BSD (Blue Screen of Death, the WORST type of crash) during final v1.03 testing. He thought to update his drivers and, for whatever reason, the problem went away. The odd thing is he's been testing the game for 6 months and that was the first time the problem came up. Yes, we love Windows and all the extra joy it brings us tongue.gif

Keep an eye on this one DzrtFox and see if it happens again. If so, then we need to start looking for what might be causing it. So far I've not seen anything like this since we launched.

Steve

Just as a follow-up, I definitely have all of the latest drivers and Windows updates. I'm still using XP and will continue to do so until I'm forced to use Vista at gunpoint.

I played another battle after the crash and experienced no problems, so it was possibly a freak thing. I will continue to watch it, and hopefully it won't happen again.

Just one more final note is that there was hardly anything going on action-wise when the crash happened. Some sporadic fire from both sides but no heavy action (which I'm assuming would cause a greater drain on resources and more potential instability).

Anyway, thanks for the responses.