Just what do they put in these APFSDS rounds?

A poor, unsuspecting BMP-2 with it's side facing an Abrams, survives for the expect few seconds. But notice the way the round has caused a big exposion in the BMP, caused a seconday explosion some ten or more meters behind it on a tree (I guess), and the round is still to be seen travelling further on into the distance.

bangx3ql8.jpg

bangx3ql8.b9e0e629dc.jpg

Is this some crazy property of APFSDS rounds (I checked that it was those the tank was firing), or some minor quirk of the game engine?

APFSDS - Armor Piercing FinStabilized Discarging Sabot.

its a tungsten rod (or depleted uranium in most US munitions) thats like 2.5cm thick and 50cm tall (or something close to it cant remember) and use Kinetic Energy to break thrue the heavy armor of enemy tanks.

a poorly armed BMP it can go right thrue without ewen bother to stop or do anything.

If the BMP have hatches open (to vent overpressure) and no vital parts are behind the penetration point it can survice withoutproblem, but if there is any vital behind the penetration points its bloody doomed.

when engaging BMP HEAT is prefered, sabot arent worth to engage with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_energy_penetrator

/Chainsaw

I think the penetrator weighs about 10kg and leaves the muzzle around the order of 5,000 fps. Sorry for the mixed units. It's a lot of kinetic energy whether you go metric or english! Of course, I have no idea how it managed to go through that tree: that is in contradiction to my Entmoot thread. Did you hear the tree fall?

Regards,

Ken

Maybe there is a second vehicle hiding back
i saw that often so far when i compare it to how often i saw APFSDS exploding on trees.

@thevulture

if you have a safe, go ahead and cease fire, i guess there should be another vehicle standing there.

Originally posted by TheVulture:

I figured an AP round would go straight through the BMP - it's the secondary explosion that is somewhat mystifying.

Depleted uranium is 'pyrophoric', in other words, it ignites spontaneously when in powder form. DU penetrators shear, rather than deform, as they pierce armor plate. Thus a DU penetration will result in a mix of spall and ignited DU dust -- the dust a result of the shearing degradation of the penetrator as it passes through the plate, thereby causing secondary explosions.

Also AFV’s tend to be “jam packed” with ammunition (and its propellant), fuel and other stuff that tends not to like being messed up by a supersonic APFSDS round going through it. smile.gif

Think of the closing scenes of “Hunt for Red October” when Sean Connery recommends caution when using a pistol in the sub’s Missile Room and you’ll get a similar idea. smile.gif

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

I'm interested to know if there was a second vehicle behind that first BMP. Yes, the round is powerful enough to go through two BMPs, BTRs, or BRDMs. Another wonderfully fun thing that true LOF offers us. I bet Red force players wished we stuck with the old abstract model :D

Steve

Did a ceasefire and had a look, and there is no vehicle there:

postmortemmn2.jpg

postmortemmn2.236883d76e.jpg

The round appears to have skipped up off the ground, creating a nice fireball in the process.