Stryker Story -Michael Yon

I liked this part, a rather interesting metric to see how much soldiers like a particular type of equipment:

Before long, many soldiers began naming their Strykers, though I’ve never heard of anyone naming a Humvee. Even an up-armored Humvee is just a machine, a necessary carapace. But a Stryker gets treated like a member of the platoon. Soldiers take extra care of them.

When a Humvee is badly damaged, it gets turned in to the mechanics with nary a further thought. But when a Stryker gets badly damaged, the soldiers visit it and hang around it and volunteer to help the mechanics and technicians nurse it back to life. I couldn’t make up anything this bizarre.

Ex-Cretin,

A stellar find, one which shows how little truth is actually getting into the mass media here. I think it's safe to say the guardian angels involved need a vacation! Should also add that I saw the original insurgent video and was horrified. Am amazed that with an explosion of that force that there were no fatalities and only relatively minor injuries.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ July 17, 2007, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

It's pretty amazing I can be sitting here in my room half a world away from this stuff, first WATCHING the actual bomb explosion from the Insurgent point of view and then reading about and seeing pictures of the guys who survived it. Wish we'd had this kind of media coverage during world war II ;) (and no I wasn't alive then, but I was thinking it'd be great for posterity, namely me :D )