Panzer Elite on a Mac with Virtual PC?

Am I crazy? :confused:

Hi

This is my story.

I learned about PE while playing Combat Mission from BTS, the thing about that game is that both Mac users and PC users can play head to head. smile.gif

BUT CMBO game is NOT a WWII tank simulator like PE Soooooo....

I want to play PE but I own a Mac, I doubt I will buy a PC just for this game (but I have considered it), so I am looking at running Virtual PC on a 800 mHz iMac.

Well I was foolish enough to go out and buy the latest boxed version of PE so I could read the manual which is kinda cool. Now lets see if it will run under emulation on a Mac. If so which PC OS should I install?

Does anyone have any hints or suggestions for running PE under Virtual PC on a Mac?

Thanks

-tom w

[ July 07, 2002, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Aka_Tom_W,

I have a 500MHz G4 Ti PB with 512Mb of RAM running 9.2.2.

I use Win 98 installed on VPC 5.0.4 to run the following:

Steel Beasts

BCT

Steel Panthers I, II and III

M1 Tank Platoon 2

PE

Panzer Commander

Diplomacy

and various others.

The only problem I found with PE was speed of response. I found I was always correcting as I traversed too far one way due to the delays involved.

However I haven't played PE since VPC 4 so maybe I should fire it up again to see if the newer VPC is better.

[ July 07, 2002, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

Originally posted by gibsonm:

Aka_Tom_W,

I use Win 98 installed on VPC 5.0.4 to run the following:

Steel Beasts

BCT

Steel Panthers I, II and III

M1 Tank Platoon 2

PE

Panzer Commander

Diplomacy

and various others.

The only problem I found with PE was speed of response. I found I was always correcting as I traversed too far one way due to the delays involved.

However I haven't played PE since VPC 4 so maybe I should fire it up again to see if the newer VPC is better.

That sounds postive smile.gif

Thanks

-tom w

[ July 07, 2002, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by gibsonm:

Aka_Tom_W,

I use Win 98 installed on VPC 5.0.4 to run

... snip...

Hi

I got this reply on the PE board:

"Teut

General

Member # 2

Member Rated:

posted July 08, 2002 10:30 AM               

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh ha. I never tried this running on the Virtual PC and I don't know if the speed is ok to run PE.

You can try though. PE runs on Win95,98,ME and XP with no problems, I woudl suggest Windows ME as this is the most stable and fastest, while XP is better but runs slower...

------------------------------------------------------------------------"

Hi gibsonm,

Do you think that Windows ME is that much better or faster? Anyone else care to comment on which PC OS runs FASTEST under Virtual PC emulation?

I do Plan to install Virtual PC and give it a shot.

thanks for your reply.

-tom w

[ July 08, 2002, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Ugh... skip on WinME. I'd suggest Win98SE. Win95B would be even better, but it doesn't support the latest version of DirectX. WinME had some nice additional features (which may be of little use to you under emulation), but it was slower as far as I was concerned.

I don't know if Win2K or WinXP would work under emulation. They're more memory intensive and better behaved on the PC than the previous Win OS's, but under emulation they may be too slow.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Ugh... skip on WinME. I'd suggest Win98SE. Win95B would be even better, but it doesn't support the latest version of DirectX. WinME had some nice additional features (which may be of little use to you under emulation), but it was slower as far as I was concerned.

I don't know if Win2K or WinXP would work under emulation. They're more memory intensive and better behaved on the PC than the previous Win OS's, but under emulation they may be too slow.

Thanks Schrullenhaft for your prompt and informative reply!

I have not tried the install yet.

I'm Sure PE would be WAY better on a REAL PC, but I don't have one and won't buy one.... so

Lets see what Virtual PC can do for us. smile.gif

thanks

-tom w

Hi gibsonm,

Do you think that Windows ME is that much better or faster? Anyone else care to comment on which PC OS runs FASTEST under Virtual PC emulation?

-tom w

In my experience the simpler the OS you want to simulate the faster it runs. So DOS is quicker than Win 95 which is faster than Win 98, which is faster than Win 2K or NT.

So if you want more features you need to accept slower speed (or get a faster Mac).

[ July 09, 2002, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

I would say win95 rev B if you can find it. It is the fastest, stablest win9x iteration there ever was. You do not need the latest version of DirectX, 8 will work fine for the several years old panzer elite.

Anyone know what the guy who suggested ME was smoking?

WWB

I use virtual PC 5 to run some PC games. Lately I have been playing strategic command demo and SM Gettysburg! Both of these games play extremely well. I have not played Panzer Elite, so I can't comment on this game specifically.

I have been using VPC5 on my Pismo 400MHz G3 with 320Mb RAM. I should mention that VPC runs much faster under system 9 than system 10. I would think that your iMac at 800Mhz will work very nicely.

Warren

PS I use windows 95B as my OS.

[ July 09, 2002, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Warren Peace ]

Originally posted by Warren Peace:

I use virtual PC 5 to run some PC games. Lately I have been playing strategic command demo and SM Gettysburg! Both of these games play extremely well. I have not played Panzer Elite, so I can't comment on this game specifically.

I have been using VPC5 on my Pismo 400MHz G3 with 320Mb RAM. I should mention that VPC runs much faster under system 9 than system 10. I would think that your iMac at 800Mhz will work very nicely.

Warren

PS I use windows 95B as my OS.

Great thanks for the posts and comments!

I am REALLY enjoying Panzer Elite, more than I thought I would. I have been practicing my targeting and gunnery with the German Panther and well placed shots directed at the turret ring of Allied Sherms will brew them UP AND Blow off their turrets! The Explosions in CMBO are VERY nice, but the act of targeting the turret and or turret ring and blowing the WHOLE turret "Clean OFF!" was REALLY worth the price of the game. I never thought it could be this much fun!

I have borrowed a 800 mHz Dell 420 inspire (something or other) and am running PE and it works well. It is a short term solution, I'm running Win98 and I had a friendly PC tech geek smile.gif (thanks Mark) set it up for me.

Panzer Elite is Like CMBO under Iron Man/Francko's Rules only there is NO way you can CHEAT! I have lost more than a few scenario's so far. Its hard to win. I have been playing with mostly REALISTIC settings.

I don't like the fact the round has no travel time (it does in CMBO), as it impacts the target the instant it is fired, but other than that the ballistics and targeting and optics are fun to play with and they seem accurate. The Germans are more fun, have better tanks (duh!) and are easier to aim and target than the American tanks. I have played both. I played alot today and enoyed targeting with the germans alot more.

THis is a good site if you are interested in German and American tanks optics and site as they are modeled in Panzer Elite Special Edition:

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/turret/pegunnery/pegunnery.shtml

this site is also well done:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~pref8u/PEgunneryGER.htm

I have not got the Vitual PC running on the MAC yet as I am happy with the borrowed PC, it works great.

I'm still a Mac guy and always will be but this Dell box running Win98 with Panzer Elite on it was not as much of a PITA to set up as I thought it might be, it is now stable and the game runs quickly and looks good.

I think it has a 32 meg Nvidia card in it, a nice 17 inch monitor and it looks pretty good.

I think the my fully modded version of CMBO looks much nicer, but I have not messed around with any PE mods. I have PESE 1.1 installed and so far it has not crashed.

thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

-tom w

Panzer Elite is now my lastest fascination while I await the release and arrival of CMBB! smile.gif

[ July 10, 2002, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]