Friendly fire, the other kind

I'm not talking about the inadvertent friendly fire that's been reported to occur in low light situations but the purposeful kind. I don't remember how it worked in CM1, but in CMSF it's impossible to damage one's own troops with direct fire.

For example: I send a squad into an enemy held small house with, say, an MG team + Bradleys in support. They will shoot though the troops during the advance. Then these units continue pouring heavy fire into the bldg, occupied concurrently by both sides, shredding the bad guys and leaving your boys unharmed. This is by design?

[ April 28, 2008, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Childress ]

I have a saved game of a Red vs. Red Scenario where friendly fire occurred by RPG. Red1 (player, blue icons) against Red2 (AI).

An RPG fired from Red1 entered a window of a building occupied by three Red2 soldiers and one Red1 soldier. The RPG missed the three Red2 guys and hit the Red1 soldier located in the back of the building.

As the Sgt. said, explosions are an equal opportunity killer.

FF2.jpg

FF3.jpg

FF4.jpg

FF5.jpg

FF7.jpg

FF8.jpg

FF6.jpg

FF9.jpg

[ April 27, 2008, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Chops ]

Hi all,

I know this has been discussed before, but I have noticed recently a significant number of incidents where my men engage their comrades, at a variety of ranges, even outside of cover arcs.

This was most noticeable with the recently released and I must add, pretty excellent, Hasrabit campaign. Without spoiling, mission 2 was almost ruined by my side banging away at each other, and using most of their ammo in the process. This was not only the conscript troops but the specfors as well. I know it is dark and the Syrians don't have the situational awareness that the US does, but I think it went a bit over the top.

It's tolerable when they are using small arms, as we have all found out that this has no effect, either casualty or suppression. However, RPG rounds do cause a few tears, and that happened twice, even though my troops had small cover arcs and the friendlies they killed were well outside it.

I've just noticed it on the third mission as well, but this time the AI has opened up on it's own troops from overwatch positions. I'll just sit back and let it destroy himself.

I know Battlefront has a huge amount of work on at the moment, and pleasing everyone is just not an option. Just wondered if you were aware of this, and if there were plans to have a look at it.

I was playing realtime elite for info.

Thanks in advance, Darren