Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

EFPs

I just saw a report in the BBC's "Newsnight" program that said that something like a third to a half of US casualties in Iraq last month alone were caused by Iranian made EFPs (Explosively Forged Projectiles). Are these in the game (my guess is no) and if not, will they be added?

Besides there obvious utility in an asymetrical war I also think they would look cool in game. Something like a large explosion with a projectile flying out of the fireball would be pretty scary!

I find using of even IEDs somewhat cubersome (well haven't much used them)... EFPs then again have different nature of how they are to be used. I think impelnting this to game is hard or even impossible.

They should be used by TacAI automaticly as they are not like IED, but need accurate timing or penetrator(s) flies past target. And then there should be clear marks for trajectories which EFP will travel, to ease the phase when they are set to their position.

But then again EFPs are used in CM:SF in form of AT-mines... Well i haven't seen or used them much so maybe they are just trackmines not using EFP-method, but cheer size of exploxives...

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

I just saw a report in the BBC's "Newsnight" program that said that something like a third to a half of US casualties in Iraq last month alone were caused by Iranian made EFPs (Explosively Forged Projectiles). Are these in the game (my guess is no) and if not, will they be added?

Besides there obvious utility in an asymetrical war I also think they would look cool in game. Something like a large explosion with a projectile flying out of the fireball would be pretty scary!

I was in charge of a convoy that had an M1114 hit by an EFP, there's nothing "cool" about it.

Originally posted by Splinty:

I was in charge of a convoy that had an M1114 hit by an EFP, there's nothing "cool" about it.

Splinty,

First of all, I'd like to say I am sorry that your convoy was attacked by an EFP. Truly I am. British soldiers too are regularly killed by them and it makes me sick when the Iranians deny all knowledge.

Having said that, can you please not misread what people are saying and let your emotions get the better of you. I didn't say "EFPs are cool". I said it would be cool to see one used "in the game". There is a big difference.

This is the problem with a game such as CM:SF. As many of the things simulated are actually occurring in the real world as we speak it is inevitable that people like yourself are going to have difficulty discussing the game objectively.

had an M1114 hit by an EFP, there's nothing "cool" about it.
How is that different than having a BMP full of troops get vaporized by a Javelin? /shrug

But back on topic … EFPs would actually be an excellent addition to the game, especially since currently any IED that has the power to do any real damage to vehicles will also level half of a city block.

EFP = Explosively FORMED Projectiles (or Penetrators)

An explosively formed penetrator (EFP), also known as an explosively formed projectile, a self-forging warhead, or a self-forging fragment, is a special type of shaped charge designed to penetrate armour effectively at stand-off distances. They were first developed during WWII

Here is a link to the wiki