Starshells, fire and burning objects.

Sorry to bother people but this is more aquestion than a discussion point.

Does anyone know if CMx2 will be able to simulate limited "pools" of light for night fighting, so that for example an area around a starshell could have different spotting from the other side of a hill.

The other classic example is, will it be easier to spot units near a burning building which "illuminates" them.

Less significant but of interest would be the spotting effects of firing. Will firing units be easier to spot, and or loose some of their spotting ability due to muzzle flah etc.

Indeed though it's another issue what are the effects of fire on "sound" detection. Is a firing motar team less likely to hear that flanking Panther, than a waiting one.

Peter.

Some of the current poor-man's wargames (maybe Panzers II, do not remember) has dynamic lighting implemented in a sense that every soldier close to a burning tank casts an individual shadow on the ground, so it should be doable.

I guess the good BFC folks on their path to universality of the new engine will implement features like the one that you describe. Must be pretty complex, though!

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Some of the current poor-man's wargames (maybe Panzers II, do not remember) has dynamic lighting implemented in a sense that every soldier close to a burning tank casts an individual shadow on the ground, so it should be doable.

I guess the good BFC folks on their path to universality of the new engine will implement features like the one that you describe. Must be pretty complex, though!

Best regards,

Thomm

Dynamic lighting and showing shadows are user interface effects; whether they are available is a separate question from how the calculations for target acquisition are done for units in the innards of the game.

For my money, the treatment of night combat is one of the (very few) things the CM series completely failed on, and I never play night actions for this reason. Not being able to fire on muzzle flashes makes a complete nonsense of night tactics.

I don't know what algorithms CM uses for visual target acquisition, but assuming that they are something like the ACQUIRE 1-D model, a simple treatment of illuminants could be obtained just by increasing the effective illumination at targets within the radius of effect of illuminant rounds while they are burning.

Slightly harder is working out what the background of a visual target is for purposes of calculating background contrast -- it's common to cheat by treating the terrain at the target as the background, but that doesn't show skylining effects properly, which are important at night. But I'm sure Charles is capable of the 3-D geometry required to project lines-of-sight until they intersect something.

All the best,

John.

Some bones have been offered up and hints made that the new dynamic lighting in CMx2 will allow for starshells, flares, and light sources other than and including the Sun and Moon.

So the question seems to me to be to what degree will they be modelled, abstracted, etc...

I suspect, though I too am curious, that actual specifics on this will be held untill the game is ready to roll. It would be nice to know more specifcs about this before the game comes out if it's possible.

• 1 year later...
Dynamic lighting

Yes, dynamic lighting has been in and working great for a long time. Time of day is set by the scenario and that changes, obviously, how things are lit up. Dynamic lighting game effects -> honestly I don't know. Not sure what Charles is planning on doing. It likely is something that can be improved upon even if we don't do much with it right away.

this was the last official comment as far as I can tell

-tom w