What's your frame rate?

Douglas,

I noticed this too but wasn't quite sure. In the 2nd battle scenario ("Al-something", in which you have to clear a town of insurgents) I put the camera in the middle of the map and panned around. The frame rate seemed to drop the most when the camera was looking out over the crops at the edge of the town. The frame-rate hit of crops and grass does seem to be the culprit. What's more, I think BFC know this already, as the cut-off distance for drawing grass and crops is closer to the viewpoint at the lower 3D settings.

We need some sort of reduced grass detail mode that draws grass further away but maybe less detailed grass or less dense grass.

Originally posted by SlapHappy:

Sitting Duck

I didn't see much, if any, improvement (6-7 FPS worst-case). I have the 8600GTS card (Nvidia). I noticed that your 1650 Pro has 512 MB of video memory. I only have 256 MB. I wonder how much of a difference that makes?

Incidentally you don't even have to start a mission to test map performance. You can load up the map in the scenario editor and switch to 3-D view. Using fraps will give you a good idea what to expect for performance. I'm disappointed in not getting some FPS love with the new patch. I'm going to try the latest driver set and see if that helps at all.

I'm not sure how much difference the amount of video ram makes.

I'm not sure about using the editor. I wanted a single, easily repeatable method to load a scenario to test frame rates under a variety of settings. Loading Allah's Fist provided a good test.

The jump in frame rates from v1.02 to v1.03 was considerable (6 FPS to 17 FPS).

The jump in frame rates from catalyst 7.8 to 7.9 is also considerable (17 FPS to 24 FPS).

I'm now going to try the ATI quake wars hotfix and see what difference that makes.

[ September 11, 2007, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: Sitting Duck ]

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by peleprodigy:

Just read through doesn't look like anyone is getting good frame rates at best/best. sort of a challenge to the conventional wisdom that only some are having problems. I would characterize it more as 'Some don't think they have a problem'

I'm not using best/best. I'm using fastest/fastest...

I listed the settings that I'm using for comparison purposes in my first post. Here are my CMSF settings:

CMSF Options:

Display: 1024x768

Vert Synch: Off

3D Model: Fastest

3D Texture: Fastest

Anti-Alias: On

High Priority: Off

ATI Left-click: Off

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Sitting Duck:

What's your frame rate?

Load Allah's Fist with the following settings:

Scenario: Allahs's Fist

Play: turn-based, Blue

Difficulty: Elite

CMSF Options:

ATI RadeonX 1650 Pro

VRAM: 512

AGP: 8x

AGP Aperture: 32MB

16-bit color

60 Hz (LCD)

FRAPS = 6

When Allah's Fist is loaded as the Blue Player, you are positioned looking down the long dimension of the map. I'm curious what frame rates others are experiencing at this position with these settings. My framerate seems quite low and my mouse has quite a bit of lag - usable but annoying. The framerate does increase as I rotate and face the map edges that are closer (less map is visible on screen).

You can get FRAPS here:

http://www.fraps.com/download.php

I'm now up to 58 FPS! That's about a 10x improvement over where I was initially.

Good job!

Originally posted by SlowMotion:

Sitting Duck: did you ever try using a higher value for AGP aperture?

No.

Do you think it would make a difference for this test?

Do you think it would make a difference in normal use?

I have 512MB of VRAM on the card...what does the aperture size have to do with video performance?

Originally posted by Sitting Duck:

What's your frame rate?

Load Allah's Fist with the following settings:

Scenario: Allahs's Fist

Play: turn-based, Blue

Difficulty: Elite

CMSF Options:

ATI RadeonX 1650 Pro

VRAM: 512

AGP: 8x

AGP Aperture: 32MB

16-bit color

60 Hz (LCD)

FRAPS = 6

When Allah's Fist is loaded as the Blue Player, you are positioned looking down the long dimension of the map. I'm curious what frame rates others are experiencing at this position with these settings. My framerate seems quite low and my mouse has quite a bit of lag - usable but annoying. The framerate does increase as I rotate and face the map edges that are closer (less map is visible on screen).

You can get FRAPS here:

http://www.fraps.com/download.php

With 1.03:

- same settings as you: 40

- textures and 3D model maxed out: 8

With 1.04:

- same settings as you: 60

- textures and 3D model maxed out: 37

Well, yes, huge improvement with 1.04, particularly with high settings !!!

My rig:

- Athlon64X2 3800

- 2GB RAM

- NVIDIA 7800 GT