I'm tired

Actually if Sergei didn't mean it, then let me say it: most German mags rate wargames very very low, and I don't know any one reviewer working for printed mags that has even half a clue about wargames. 50-60% scores would actually be very good in Germany (I have not seen any T72 review that low by the way, but I have seen one for SC2 which was in the low 70 score; for the record, CMBO got 62% when it first came out).

Capt. Toleran, nobody is labelling you a troll. Trolls don't often write complete sentences smile.gif And your points are appreciated, as are all reasonable opinions that are posted on the forums, even if we might not agree with all of them. Thanks for the marketing lesson, too. I have a sales&marketing background and a diploma in a drawer somewhere myself, but like I said - we always put our efforts in the game first, marketing second. Did you play CM for 7 years because of the marketing or because it was a good game? We're willing to risk boring some of you to death because we know that once the game is complete and we DO have some real news, we will more than make up for it.

BTW, let's not make it sound like we're not posting any updates. Steve has worked the forum for weeks, and more updates will be made when there are some meaningful announcements to make. A daily "today Charles finished some floating point calculations, tomorrow we'll figure out the GUI coordinates" is a useless waste of time.

KG_Leopard, nobody is blaming you for not checking back here every day.

Heh, sometimes I get the feeling that we're getting blame for having made a game that lasted for 6-7 years of play time and that everybody else is producing crap... this is just a general remark, not directed at anyone.

Martin

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with eveything you have said with possibly this one exception

A daily "today Charles finished some floating point calculations, tomorrow we'll figure out the GUI coordinates" is a useless waste of time.

Even a "yeah, we added some floating point calculations" perhaps on a dialy basis is a waste but on a weekly basis would, IMHO, be nice to hear. But on the other hand it would probably not satisfy.. so maybe you are right after all.

KG_Leopard, we do not send out newsletters very often because we do not want to spam people. In fact, with spam filters etc. nowadays, many of the newsletters return anyway as people forget or do not care to whitelist battlefront.com emails.

Midnight Warrior: you're touching upon something there which I kind of forgot to mention. Once the appetite is triggered, people always want more. It is NEVER done with just a five minute update. This is a lesson learned from CMBO times and repeated ad nauseum with each new title, and is one of the reasons why we do not release stuff until we know we have the time to handle the flood.

Of course this is an odd spot to be in. We're on the one hand delighted that things are this way. Posts similar to the one that started this thread often show the exact opposite of what they say, namely that people do care enough about the stuff we did and are doing that they get frustrated about the long waiting times. After all - if you don't care, why take the time to post?

So we're truly honored on the one hand, but at the same time, we cannot change the facts, and we cannot starting posting news until the news happens.

The main point of this thread, I think, is that people are getting somewhat restless because things are taking longer than expected, and that's a point that we're VERY well aware of, no worries.

But remember this: the waiting is always hardest when it's almost over smile.gif

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

... Of course this is an odd spot to be in. We're on the one hand delighted that things are this way. Posts similar to the one that started this thread often show the exact opposite of what they say, namely that people do care enough about the stuff we did and are doing that they get frustrated about the long waiting times. After all - if you don't care, why take the time to post? ...

Martin

Damned...now you've got me... :D

I don't understand why BFC hates us so much after all we did for them. It's not that we're asking for the impossible. Just a single word about the CMx2 development would be all I need. Ok, maybe not just a single word, but a sentence or two. With screenshots. Maybe a little in-game video. And an AAR. With pics. And videos. Fullscreen please. And why not open up a few more beta slots? Like one, for me? And why don't you just release the frickin' DEMO, fer christ's sake?! And why did it have to be Strykers vs the Syrian special lobster troops? Can't you just rewrite the whole thing and give us WW2? Now?

It's so little we're asking for.

[ May 14, 2006, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

Originally posted by KG_Leopard:

Same for SC2, which has been descriped for example as "Commando Sleep - War of the slide rules".

Have you taken the time to play it or even the demo?

It's anything but that.

A simple to play strategic level game with a decent amount of depth behind it is what it is. Learning how to use a slide rule would entail much more of a learning curve than the actual game. Your statement by reviewers is absurd. ...unless they too never played the game.

A simple, (relatively compared to the real spreadsheet complex ones), strategic game may not be everyone's idea of fun but it's no brain buster requiring a slide rule to figure out the play.

Heh, if you're referring to this review.

Each unit can move a maximum number of spaces each turn so don’t expect an armoured division from Paris to reach Moscow in a single go.
Yeah, I always expected that from my panzer divisions. Hubert, fix or do somfink!

A review full of gems, but this one at the end is priceless.

Overall this game really is for the hardcore of turn-based strategists as otherwise you could soon be finding yourself turned away by the lack of visual and audio passion in Strategic Command 2. Not being one myself, I struggled to keep interest and left my Axis domination of Europe on hold …indefinitely.
Doesn't even finish the game, then passes judgement. Too bad he doesn't write for a real magazine, the editor could have fired him. :rolleyes:

This may be old news, but I just noticed the domain the order page for SC2 is none other than CM2. https://www.combatmission2.com/sc2_order.html

Also, thanks for posting about the review for SC2 (which I completely ignored), but I did look into the game afterwards and am going to give it a try.

With most games having demos, reviews aren't as necessary anymore. I'd much rather play a game than read a review (with two exceptions: PC Gamer reviews of games that receive 20% or less which absolutley hilarious and for those times when you get bored at work/school/whatever).

On another note, the waiting for news here is not that bad, new for Half-Life 2 was sometimes more than a year between bones, but in the end it was a great game and I dont hear anyone complaining, "so what if its a great game, i'm choosing to miss out on it just to spite Valve for not releasing info on a regular basis"..

-Josh