game locks up

crepitis

CAN ANYONE HELP?

I am having major problems trying to get CMBO

to run on my system without locking up.The game locks up anytime,but most often before turn 5,and i have never got further than turn 12 before it freezes.I cant even ctrl,alt,del out of it and have to physically switch my pc off and on again.I have read all of the postings on the problem and have tried all of the suggestions without any success.I know that I am far from being the only one with this problem,surely someone out there can help.

MY system is :

AMD thunderbird 800mhz

Biostat m7vkb motherboard with via kt133 chipset

128 mb pc100 ram

Voodoo 5500 graphics card

Soundblaster live 1024

I have downloaded and installed all the latest drivers i can find(im using windows 98)to no avail.I know you may all be fed up with this kind of problem,but someone out there might just be able to help me.

I should have mentioned that i am running the demo,but i ordered the game last week and now i am worried that when it arrives i will still be cursed by lockups during play.

Just found this and pasted below - sounds like it could be it:

>>Bruno Weiss

Junior Member posted 09-10-2000 09:18 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well folks, it could be any number of things but let's face it. The single common thread here is Voodoo5. I have the exact same problems on a P-III Coppermine, with a Tyan Trinity400 MB (so it ain't just Asus), 256megs of RAM, and yep I use Windows Standard mouse pointers, no themes, no fancy settings at all on the mouse. I'm going to try the suggestion above of using the single chip option instead of FSAA. I have read over on the 3DFX forums where Voodoo5's and D3D just flat out don't get along, but some people have posted success with D3D games dropping down to the single chip option.

IP: Logged

Bruno Weiss

Junior Member posted 09-10-2000 09:52 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okaydoky, dat were it! The ole Voodoo5 dual chip FSAA problem versus D3D. It's been the biggest flame discussion on the 3DFX boards, and strikes again with CMBO. I switched to the "single chip" option in the Voodoo5 control panel for D3D and...POOF! All the text is there, all the titles and tags are there, and ofcourse the 3D terrian don't look quite as smooth but criminey, least I can play this thing now. I'm using the Voodoo5 1.01 drivers, haven't tried the beta but saw a fellow above that said they didn't make any difference to this problem. So, here's another post for the 3DFX support forum.

Yet another D3D game that don't work with their dual FSAA processing. (and the opponents of IT regulation scream..."but it'll stiffel competition". Yeah, would it? At least it would ensure interoperability!

Political announcement paid for by "FROTH". Federal Regulation of the Hardware <<

It might be bad RAM, especially if you play a lot of games and some of your other games also behave strangely. I had this problem once and it drove me nuts.

It might also be that your processor is over-clocked. If it is, turn down the multipler if you know how. It is also possible, although unlikely, that you were sold a processor that is really a slower speed but had the case switched so you think it's faster. However, I don't know if that works well with Athlon's, and as I said, it is unlikely this has happened to you.

BeWary

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.

thanks for your quick reply lucky shot,im running the game at 1024x768.I know what you mean about the glitches i used to get them,but picked up a tip to sort it out from the tech help section.when i crash it just simply locks up,like a frozen screenshot,perfect in every detail,but no movement!

My laptop used to lock up just like your computer did. That is, locked up completely and required a reboot to get going again. Once in a while the picture would tweak just slightly when it did this. I finally figured out that my video card was overheating my system - the bottom of the lap top was blazing hot. Bizarre yes. It only does it on CM also. I now run a house fan on the back of my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 3900. Placing the lap top on a tray of ice cubes works also. When I run the fan (or the ice cubes) I do not lockup. When I do not run the fan, I lockup. It's a longshot, but it worked for me.

[This message has been edited by kunzler (edited 09-11-2000).]

I don't know if your CMOS/BIOS setup has this feature or if there is anything in 3dfx's Voodoo tabs that could adjust this. You may want to check for "Fast Writes" being enabled. This is an AGP feature that may cause problems with either some motherboards or some video cards. The video cards that support Fast Writes are primarily geared towards supporting it on Intel Chipsets (not necessarily Intel CPUs).

It's possible that Fast Writes might be called something else in the CMOS/BIOS setup, but I'm not sure what it may get renamed to. I don't know if PowerStrip lists it as a feature it can control or not, but it may be worth a look. There's possibly a registry setting for the Voodoo too, but again I don't know what it would be listed as.

PowerStrip 2.74 (under "New Files" "Local"):

http://www.reactorcritical.com/

Well, I've been having lock ups for a while. They're fairly intermittent, but seem to occur more quickly when smoke and weather effects are turned on (as well as in larger scenarios with more units). Having them off seems to allow the computer to last a bit longer before dying. Dunno why.

I tried every V5 5500 driver set available, and currently have the latest beta (606 or whatever it is) installed. Also played around with the sound card drivers too.

Nothing seemed to help much until I decided to change my mouse driver. I use a Kensington Orbit mouse and was using the software that comes with it, so I upgraded to the latest Kensington drivers, but nothing seemed to change. Until I got frustrated and just changed over to the default PS/2 mouse driver supplied with Windows. All of a sudden I could play the larger scenarios that have weather effects and I could turn the smoke back on. Amazing! tongue.gif It wasn't perfect (it would still lock solid after a while), but I could play for a much longer duration (still saving often, of course).

I also noticed that if you run MSCONFIG, there's a Startup button that lists a 'MSWheel' under it. I turned this off and things seem to have gotten even a bit better with the lockups. I've been playing 1 Long Cold Day with the weather effects and smoke on without incident (knock on plastic). But I'm still not sure the problem is solved.

Sherbrooke Fusiliers is another scenario that seems to lock up more readily than others (it has loads of units).

So you might want to try playing around with the mouse drivers and uncheck the MSWheel entry to see if that helps.

Good luck.

BTW, my lockups almost always occur when plotting movements, and only rarely during playback. Also, I never got lockups with the demo (same hardware config as now). Strange.

Also, solid lockups usually are due to heat, but leaving the case off the computer and even blowing a fan at it didn't help for me. Also changed heatsinks on the CPU; it made no difference. frown.gif

Current config:

K6-2 450 on Soyo 5EMA+

Voodoo 5 5500 AGP

Diamond Sonic S90 (Vortex1) sound card

128MB PC100 Crucial mem

- Chris

*sigh*

Forget I said anything. Whatever good mojo I had going last night has apparently disappeared this evening. After continuing playing a couple more turns of Long Cold Day, the machine has now begun to lock up again within a turn or 2 whenever I have smoke/weather turn on.

Damn. I thought I might have found a good combo. Guess not.

Oh, BTW. I don't mean to imply that there is something wrong with these particular scenarios. It's just that these 2 off the top of my head seem to exhibit the behaviour more often than others (likely due to the weather conditions and the number of burning vehicles).

Turning off the weather (and especially smoke) really *does* mitigate the lock-ups, though. That's the one thing that's been consistent throughout for me. Building transparency doesn't seem to make any difference.

- Chris

Wolfe - you may want to experiment with the "AGP Aperture" (or "Graphics Aperture Size") setting in your CMOS/BIOS setup. The default for most motherboards is 64Mb. Some boards allow you to reduce this to 4Mb or so (though many won't go below 32Mb). If this is available you may want to change it to see if it has any effect on your Voodoo 5500.

I remember an earlier thread where the Voodoo 3000 owners were having problems with the textures turning to white (or other single chromatic colors) all over the screen. I don't recall if the V5500 owners saw this problem too. Supposedly 3dfx duplicated this problem and released beta drivers for the V5500 (I don't know if they ever got around to the V3000). Obviously you're running the latest Beta, so any driver related fixes to your problem haven't been solved from that quarter yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>you may want to experiment with the "AGP Aperture"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. I did that a while ago with the demo, and it helped. But with the full release of CM, I think there's something between the V5 and CM that just really don't like each other.

I just tried underclocking the video card to see if it was overheating. Nope.

Been through the BIOS twice with no real help there. Been through every driver I could find as well as just about every setting I can think of.

Thanks for the suggestions, but it looks like I'm stuck without smoke or weather for the time being. frown.gif

- Chris

Hi,

For what it's worth:

I was experiencing random lockups with CM and my computer in general (i.e., it would lock-up while web-surfin' or even when I left it alone for a couple of hours).

I uninstalled Quicktime and (just for good measure) RealPlayer - result: No More Lock-Ups.

I knew I had a good reason for disliking those programs.... smile.gif

Good luck!

Hiya folks, this is my first post here...

Just wanted to say that I have been messing with the demo and have experienced similar lockup problems to what's being described in this thread, and I'm running an Athlon 700 with a Hercules Geforce card. Here's how I fixed the lockups--

The problem didn't start until I upgraded to the 6.18 Detonator drivers from nVidia, and upgrading to the brand new 6.26 did not help... However, I stepped back down to the 5.22 drivers and everything's hunky dory again. You might wanna try 'em out, or at least something in the range of the 5.30 to 5.33 ones. They're all available from Reactor Critical. Anyway, now that the game's playable, I like it a lot! Can't wait to see what the full version has in store for me!

[This message has been edited by Jinkeez (edited 09-16-2000).]