G4 Powerbook Configs that Work?

Srdftr

Greetings all!

I'm looking to replace my Beige G3 with a Powerbook, but I want to get one that will be bootable into OS9, and will run all the Combat Mission games. Looks like the G4/800 is the latest model that will do that, but I'm not so sure what the current crop of workable video options are.

So, I looking for info on what folks with G4 Powerbooks have found to work (RAM and VRAM info might be helpful as well), so I can go hunting for the system.

Many thanks in advance!

Todd

The newest machine you can use is mine (the 1GHz Titanium) because its the last PowerBook that can start in OS 9.

Anything newer (the Al series) can’t boot in OS 9 and can only access “Classic” applications (like CMBO, CMBB, CMAK) using emulation within OS X and this for all intents and purposes doesn’t work.

If you have an Al series you need to wait for CMX2.

It is true that the TiBook 1 Gz will play all the CM series, but you need a patch for the Radeon card (search this forum for link or get it from Matt), otherwise, you get a psychaedelic screen. Despite the patch, smoke is still low res and non transparent.

The TiBook 800 Mz, I believe will display full high res smoke and proper graphics without any patch.

Both should play the game well without significant difference as they both have enough computing grunt. It will depend on whether you plan to use the computer for other uses. My personal suggestion is the 800 Mz if you plan to get one for purely gaming purposes.

I am looking for one myself if anyone has one for sale.

Cheers

Chee-Yan

Yes the smoke doesn’t look perfect on my PB but it is shown and the data behind it is used (to obscure LOS etc.) so I’m not too worried about the cosmetic issue.

Anyway this is the last OS 9 dependent app I use (TacOps is happy in Classic) so when the G5 PB’s come out maybe I should drop you a line?

All that is a great help. We have a G5 dual for 'serious' work but have kept our old G3 for some old apps and just to have a second station in case my wife and I both have needs at the same time. Plus we have a couple old PB's, but they're too hard to keep current, so we were thinking about getting rid of three units and replacing it with one PB. Both the G4/800 and 1GB sound workable, so I'll start hunting around (if someone doesn't beat me to it ;) ). Were those video options stock or purchased separately?

Thanks again!

Todd

Originally posted by Srdftr:

Were those video options stock or purchased separately?

Thanks again!

Todd

Todd,

The 64Mb of VRAM is built in (but you do need a patch for it). The PB came with 512Mb but I upped it to 1Gb.

FWIW: I also have a G4/400 desktop at home for just CMBO,BB,AK so I don’t tie up the PB (or for LAN play) and its fine as long as you don’t play “To the Volga” or something.