Animations

Hi,

I've been playing "Medieval 2 Total War" a lot lately. It may be a "lite" wargame (in fact even using the term wargame is stretching it a bit) but I absolutely love watching the battles. This is mainly because of the beautiful animation of all the soldiers and the subtle variations between models of the same unit type.

Now I know that BFC is only a small company, and that this is just "chrome" with no real effect on game resolution, but I am hoping that BFC will see the potential for added sales in this area and try to emulate some of the visual splender of mass-market games like M2TW. Having seen some of CMSF's in-game models I am already very impressed. Now, if they can just move as beatifully as they look, I will be in Seventh Heaven. I want to see my CMx2 soldiers limbering up for battle, tapping magazines on their helmets, cocking their rifles etc. I know this sounds like fluff but I think it will bring in thousands of players who would normally not buy the game. How about it BFC?

Steve,

Thanks for replying and I totally understand. I am sure you guys will produce the highest quality animations that your budget allows. All I would add though is that there are probably some relatively easy animations and some relatively hard ones for the same basic effect. Tapping magazines on helmets was perhaps a bad choice. If there could be even a slight improvement from the CMx1 swivelling heads etc., then I am sure it will help immensely.

I hope we get to see some animations soon. Thanks again for your reply.

No worries about the quality of the animations being vastly superior to CMx1. Even the quick placeholders we have now are night and day different.

The thing about stuff like tapping a magazine to a helmet (which IS a good example, BTW) is that there has to be special coding to tell the model when it is a good time to do it and when it isn't. On top of that it has to be done only for specific models, otherwise you'd have a machine gunner tapping an empty hand to his helmet :D Worse, you have to allow for all the various possible positions the guy could be in to do this action. So you're probably talking about a dozen or so animations for the two sides (Syrian helmets are different shaped so the animations have to be altered to match up).

Currently we have about 600 animations we need to do. Some are as simple as moving a hand from one position to another, others are quite involved. The majority are simply alterations of others so that hands line up with different weapons and what not, such as a firing pose for a M4 being basically the same as an AKM, just not identical.

So yeah... you're going to get a lot of realism put in front of you. What you aren't going to get are esoteric stuff. It's just not something we feel we have the time for.

Steve

sounds good, quite frankly i wasn't really expecting much more variation in types of animations than in CMX1, i just expected them to look, well, more human. actually, the animations in CMX1 weren't terrible either, i didn't really have a huge problem dealing with abstractions and stuff like a squad turning around wihout moving its legs, but now that i think about it it WAS pretty ridiculous. I guess i have a good imagination smile.gif

Although I love the animations in M2TW even that monster of a game doesn't bother with some animations deemed "non-critical" as Steve puts it. For instance, in M2TW I've seen ballistas and their crews walk right through a solid stone wall. Obviously not everything is worth animating even with that game's massive budget. It will be interesting to see what approach BFC takes re. walls and fences but I imagine some sort of abstraction is inevitable.