sorry if this has been beatto death but?

WWII will be a seperate stand alone game series. In fact WWII will be broken down into various campaigns each of which will be stand alone, the only one of which that has been confirmed so far is France summer '44 with the basic game starting with US Army vs the Wehrmacht and an additional module introducing the Commenwealth forces.

Originally posted by Sequoia:

the only one of which that has been confirmed so far is France summer '44 with the basic game starting with US Army vs the Wehrmacht and an additional module introducing the Commenwealth forces.

Let's hope not. That's verging too close to getting the customer to pay extra for what should be included in the first place, IMHO. Unlike this Syria caper, Commonwealth forces were hardly a bolt-on in the Normandy campaign and should be included in the first release.

Originally posted by Hertston:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sequoia:

the only one of which that has been confirmed so far is France summer '44 with the basic game starting with US Army vs the Wehrmacht and an additional module introducing the Commenwealth forces.

Let's hope not. That's verging too close to getting the customer to pay extra for what should be included in the first place, IMHO. Unlike this Syria caper, Commonwealth forces were hardly a bolt-on in the Normandy campaign and should be included in the first release. </font>

Originally posted by The Louch:

I think something about the States having a bigger market for PC games than all Commonwealth countries combined will suggest otherwise.

Probably the reason behind it, certainly. But I wasn't proposing Brits v. Germans with the US as a 'module'! BTW, I notice the use of 'Wehrmacht' by Sequoia, does that mean the Waffen SS will be a 'module' as well? As long as they don't mutute into the dreaded Wafflegrenadiers I suppose we should be grateful for small mercies. :D

Keep in mind that it’s not about the Commonwealth forces being an “afterthought”, but rather about giving us the main release with-in (hypothetically) 8 months, instead of 14 – and then releasing an expansion another 4 months following.
How much extra development time do some more voice samples, tank and infantry models, and extra scenarios take? Most of the delay will be fixing the first release, not working on the expansion.

Not to mention that expansions are so common-place for current PC games, that I don’t see how you can not expect one.
They are common. What is rather less common is so blatant an omission of what should have been included in the first place. Also, you generally only see expansions when the first game sells well. The more the first release has to offer, the better it will sell.

[ August 05, 2007, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Hertston ]

How much extra development time do some more voice samples, tank and infantry models, and extra scenarios take?

:eek: :eek:

Wow, some one is about to be smitten by the mighty hand of the God of Game Development tongue.gif

I'm also pretty sure some one from BFC mentioned that the module development and core-engine patching will be handled by different teams, so work on the other one does not slowdown the process of the other.

That the Waffen SS will not be included in the initial WWII release is a supposition on my part and not confirmed by Battlefront, but I think it is a reasonable supposition based on the analogy of what we'll be getting in CMSF. Along with the USMC module, the plan is we'll be getting some additional Syrian units such as airborne.

I do think, however, if we don't get the Waffen SS right away, they'll be included along with the Commonwealth. Most likely they haven't finalised plans for the releases themselves yet.

Battlefront has indicated they will no longer take a "Kitchen Sink" approach to their releases as they did with CMBB.

Battlefront has indicated they will no longer take a "Kitchen Sink" approach to their releases as they did with CMBB.

That is the case. Even if we wanted to replicate CMx1s equipment list in CMx2 its just not physically possible to create the weapons, vehicle and infantry models of the detail we now have for one single release.

As for what will be included where, I dont think we have completely tied down the details yet, so its probably best to wait for some more info when we are much further down that path smile.gif .

Dan

How much extra development time do some more voice samples, tank and infantry models, and extra scenarios take? Most of the delay will be fixing the first release, not working on the expansion.

With regards to the vehicle/infantry models Herston, the answer to that question depends on whether you want a detailed representation of Commenwealth troops or only a token representation of major vehicles, weapons, etc. If you want the former like Im sure many do including myself, then it is indeed a considerable amount of work as for the most part they use unique equipment that will have to be built from scratch.

Maybe it's just my un-grognard mind here, but are others also underwhelmed by the prospect of a USMC module for CM:SF? I'm probably just not knowledgeable enough on the differences between the US army and US Marine Corps to appreciate their added value I suppose? They are all Americans to me ;) . All I pretty much remember from my Steel Panthers games is that the USMC have LAVs and the army doesn't! But then, the army has Strykers nowadays and I can hardly spot the difference there.

The IDF is what I want! Any Syria campaign is just not complete without them IMHO :D .

[ August 06, 2007, 02:56 AM: Message edited by: KAding ]

I would imagine the WW2 GAME will be US 1st Div, 29th Div, Omaha to St.Lo, opponent Heer 352nd Div, FJ 3rd(?) Div. The first MODULE British 3rd, Canadian 3rd, Sword and Juno to Caen/Carpiquet, opponents 713th(?) Static Div, 1st SS, 12th SS. That would seem to fit the new scope.

Originally posted by Freeboy:

thanks guys.. are we looking at summer 08?

I'm sure no one, even at Battlefront, knows yet, but that's not a bad guess.

Steiner, I'm sure we'll get the Waffen SS but maybe not in the initial release, but as Kwazy Dog said, it's still too early to say. Hopefully Paradox will not want them called the Waffengrenadier again. If so, I'm sure a mod can change that

Sirocco, I think that's a little too detailed. The game is supposed to cover the entire Normandy campaign I understand. I think that will include everything through Falise at least, which as I'm sure you know included many other divisions, and let's not forget the Airborne!

Originally posted by KAding:

Maybe it's just my un-grognard mind here, but are others also underwhelmed by the prospect of a USMC module for CM:SF?

Depends what they charge for it, and what other additional content is offered. It would make it rather more enticing if it offered a new OPFOR and maybe a new theatre as well.

Originally posted by Freeboy:

thanks guys.. are we looking at summer 08?

I'd say late 08 at the earliest. Keep in mind that they're doing a Marine module first and that they are still working out the kinks for the actual game right now. These modules are basically like expansion packs, so expect smaller content along with a smaller price(I'm guessing $30).

This is a smart way to get content into the customers hands much quicker(estimated 8 months) than making a full blown game/sequel(16 months). So we'll get the full Normandy game in two halves. Although unfortunately with so much more detail going into the AFVs, I doubt we'll ever see the kinds of AFV lists we saw in the old CM days.

I think that's a little too detailed. The game is supposed to cover the entire Normandy campaign I understand. I think that will include everything through Falise at least, which as I'm sure you know included many other divisions, and let's not forget the Airborne!

I think Normandy gets a little ragged after St.Lo and Caen. You also have a "story", with beginning, middle and end with the example I described.

Of course BTS might pull in a different direction completely, and probably will.