Any plans to improve graphical stability in 1.09?

Steve mentioned work is to be undertaken to try to remove the graphical glitches & I wondered if this will be in 1.09.

At present, the many glitches, especially the sudden complete screen refresh does not exactly help with immersion. I enjoy the game but it seems that every time I'm lost in it, down in the streets with the troops so to speak, something wierd happens to the graphics.....big refresh, an apparant sideways shift of vehicles or buildings, trees refreshing.......and it suddenly makes you realise you are just playing a game on a computer. These things happen several times during a typical 1 hour scenario, and if they were eliminated the game would be a much more enjoyable experience than it already is.

Hmmm... we're not aware of generalized graphics problems like that. Sounds like some sort of conflict between CM and your video card drivers. Unfortunately, we've had issues that only one or two people experience, which makes it near impossible for us to fix. It also makes it very hard to make good recommendations on what to try because different things work for different people. Very frustrating for everybody :(

After doing the usual checking to see if you have the latest drivers installed, try turning off all special features in CM:SF and then dial down the quality settings. See if that resolves the problem. If it does, then put the quality up some and see if things are still fine. If so, push it a bit more and then check. If all is well then try some of the other options, one at a time. You may also have to turn things off in your video card control panel since sometimes CM:SF is not able to override the settings there (have I mentioned how difficult drivers are to work with?).

It would also be good to know what card and general system specs you have. Maybe we can cross reference with someone else's solution.

Thanks!

Steve

Hi Im carlR (different username when at work!!). I have tried all sorts of changes to graphics settings for both card and game. I have even overclocked my CPU. I get good framerates as far as I can tell. Whilst I now have stable graphics on plain maps, those with lots of terrain, usually a combination of buildings with lots of vegetation, I still get problems. Played 'Just Another Day' last night and this is one of those scenarios that refreshes. I have Intel C2D 2.40 CPU, 2 gig ram, Nvidia 8800gtx. Using 163.71 drivers. Tried 169.21 but they made things worse. Will now try 163.75 since they work for Erwin. Thanks for the advice.

Ive tried all drivers from 97.02 to 169.44 beta. 163.71 give the best results for me so thats the driver i'll stick with. I think it is just the game engine, all other games & demos play perfectly well & CM1 is far worse on my current machine than it was on the PC I had 5-6 years ago. Going to have to live with it for now.....

crr,

I think it is just the game engine, all other games & demos play perfectly well & CM1 is far worse on my current machine than it was on the PC I had 5-6 years ago. Going to have to live with it for now.....
Right, but the problem is that people with the same card, driver, and basic system as you don't have this sort of problem. So it is no doubt something within CM's code that is triggering the bad behavior, but it shouldn't be like that. If we do a call correctly to a driver's API then we should get the same results on EVERY system, not just 99% of them. So it's really the problem with drivers, the cards themselves, and of course Windows. On a Mac there are a lot less problems, but drivers are still not great :(

BTW carlIR/crr... it is against the Forum rules to have two different accounts. It is usually grounds for instant banishment. There is no reason why you need two accounts since you can log in using the same information no matter where you are. If you forgot what the password is you can get it sent to you.

What I'm going to do is disabled your crr account and not ban you. You're obviously not trying to break the rules, but the rules are still the rules. This is one of those rules that we do not allow exceptions to, so please understand that it's not personal. If it was I'd ban both of your accounts :D

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

... On a Mac there are a lot less problems, but drivers are still not great :( ...

Steve

Just as a question, because you've frequently posted how happy the brain in the jar will be when it can return to program on a Mac... Won't it make things worse if a program is developed on a Mac, while it will have to run mostly on Windows machines. I'm just curious.

ok my old card was a Nvidia gf7950gt, i list what for me, where the most important settings to get FPS in CMSF.

- Vsync ON (in game settings if "on or application controlled in driver settings, gains no FPS but can get rid of redrawing)

- Multithreading Optimisation -> OFF! (in driver settings)

- Anisotropic mip filter optimisation -> ON (in driver settings)

- Anisotropic sample optimisation -> ON (in driver settings)

- Texture filtering quality -> Performance

the only one wich really could help with the refreshing is Vsync, that did it for me as said.

the others just helped me with FPS, multithreading opt off especially.

also in the tech support forums are numerouse threads about that refreshing problem. i guess nearly everyone has it but not everyone notices it as such or is turned of by this.

i had it strong with my old nvidia card, fixed it mostly with Vsync, with my new ATI card its the same, bad refreshing without and not so bad with Vsync.