How are casualties calculated?

How does the game decide which men are killed, wounded, and lost? Also, is there a way to specifically tell my men to give first aid to a casualty in their squad? I've seen them do it on their own maybe a handful of times, but other times, they'll sit there perfectly safe from enemy fire with the casualty lying right next to them, and no one will start treating him.

Crispy

Originally posted by Crispy129:

I've seen them do it on their own maybe a handful of times, but other times, they'll sit there perfectly safe from enemy fire with the casualty lying right next to them, and no one will start treating him.

Yes, I would also like to know what are the rules for this.

Best regards,

Thomm

It seems that buddy aid is only dished out if the unit is in good condition. Pinned or suppressed units won't administer buddy aid till the threat has cleared.

Then they will pick someone, possibly at random, possibly based on usefullness of there kit and take a couple of minutes to apply a band-aid or three. Making off with there kit in the process.

Tank Commanders with RPG's can happen and so on.

This is all based upon my experience of CMSF and is probably wrong and totally unreliable and should not be read by anyone, ever.

It seems there are two conditions necessary: Not being fired at, and they do not have 100% ammo load. If both of these are met, they usually (key word there) start first aid within a minute or two for me.

It would be nice if a "medic" button were added.

I don't understand the ratio of wounded to killed.

It would seem to me that if the game ends and you had a vehicle that strayed and was hit from every direction and isolated- that those crewmembers would be missing or dead.

Yet at the end of the game no one is missing and there is less dead than there was in the crew ?

Also, what about when an entire styker gets IED'd by a huge bomb. You would think that would cause the death ratio to go sky high, but it does not.

Originally posted by Adam1:

I thought those testing this found that first aid actually didn't affect the ratio of wounded to kia in the final game screen. Either that, or it was an issue about scoring.

The latter is correct. Buddy aid does lower the chance of a casualty being KIA but there is no difference between KIA and WIA in the scoring system at present. This was confirmed by Steve in a thread a long time ago.

In that thread, he indicated that enemy KIA being worth more than enemy WIA is something he'd like to see in the game in a future patch as it was a relatively easy change to make.

Personally I'd like to see this done as a scenario option - i.e. mission orders are to leave casualties were they fall (for all-out rapid assaults and the like) or to minimise fatalities (for things like counter-insurgency or defensive operations).

Dragon67,

I'm not sure I agree with you that the ratio never changes. In my experience, tank battles tend to produce a high proportion of KIA whereas primarily infantry actions tend to produce a lot of WIA. That would suggest getting hit by a bullet is not as serious as getting blown up in a tank.

what i got while playing was that if you have a bunch of troops sitting around their "red base" buddies, they wond do anything for a long time if they have a cover arc.

as soon as you remove that one they start to medic(if no shooting goes on ovcourse).