US Special Forces

No MPs either, or National Guard. Remember the more extra units you add to this game the farther into the future the WWII title gets pushed.

In my mind there may be a bit of a conceptual problem with Special Ops in the game. They're supposed to be all about stealth and surprise. An 'ideal' scenario would have the red side sitting on his hands unaware that anything is going on - hard to do when you've got the scenario clock ticking down! Alternately, have a couple JTAC guys climb a hill in the middle of the night and rain precision munitions down from 3k distance. It may be that its only when the special forces guys mess up bigtime that you've got an entertaining scenario.

If you're talking about SF teams working in concert with regular forces (a la TF 121 and its successors), they can be simulated somewhat by small teams, like scout units or pre-split MOUT units, with very high training / morale / equipment settings.

I built a scenario around a special operations group (simulated by a foot scout platoon with the above settings) taking down an HQ in a large building outside a village while a general assault on the village was underway.

It went pretty well, especially after the ops troops cleared the building and helped to participate in the assault. Fun. smile.gif

Originally posted by Phillip Culliton:

If you're talking about SF teams working in concert with regular forces (a la TF 121 and its successors), they can be simulated somewhat by small teams, like scout units or pre-split MOUT units, with very high training / morale / equipment settings.

Yep that is exactly what i mean. I don't want a own module for special forces, but i think it wouldn't be too hard to add them as "support units", which have special abilities and equipment.

No, you need to capture a Ranger node first, dude. That's the flashing house with the blue roof.

Seriously, though, some discrete SF units would be cool, even though you can simulate them approximately via the editor.

On the other hand, I think the level of abstraction at which SF units are effective is precisely the level at which CM:SF breaks down. SF units would be fun, but the TacAI would still get them slaughtered at the moment.

How woud SF add to the game or the simulation? They have the same weapons and to all intents and purpose, the same tactics. The only kit that's really different is comms gear, and some stuff like cameras - eg: - not things that are going to change the game.

AH-6 and MH-6? OK, but they'll just die in flames, unless you have total surprise and the game engine does not seem to model surprise or shock - it barely models suppression! MH-6 was far more use for admin, casualty evac and re-supply than it ever was for "assaults"

...AS AN Aside, what I really like about this simulation is that it has the POTENTIAL to really inform junior commanders about how land warfare really works. - It already shows why a lot of the stuff taught from the manual is pure BS, and that's always a good thing!