M1s vs. IEDs in Iraq (some apparent OIF and wrong AFVs)

Found this in the same block of vids whence came the HummVee (with turret) ambush vid. Some of the shattered tanks were evidently OIF casualties, and I see at least one misIDed Bradley being blown up, but most of these appear to have been blown up with IEDs , some of which were EFPs. I suspect RPG fire did in at least one, I now know where the carcasses come from that Anniston Depot remanfactures into better than original, fully upgraded M1s, but egad!

Had no idea how incredible the damage was being sustained (with amazingly small crew casualties), but some of it is likely to also be the result of weapon denial practices by the U.S. Even so, I found this vid a real eye-opener. Have no idea what the song's about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP3G2bHs6Ys&feature=related

By contrast, this one looks fake. The explosion's real, but the tank looks like a crude digital insert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFHgC_iciOc&feature=related

Regards,

John Kettler

[ May 19, 2008, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

KwazyDog,

Don't know what they were attacking, or what was used, but that one should come with a heart attack warning. Stopped breathing momentarily after instantly gasping out all my air! Looked about like the 10,000 lb. HE bomb the B-36 carried and we used for LZ clearing in Nam before the BLU-109 FAE went into service went off. Any word on the target or the effects? My guess is that the whole convoy of whatever it was was blown to pieces.

Regards,

John Kettler

The thing I don't like about IED videos are watching the bad guys stuff. It's all good for intel, but they always label it with something asinine like "27 Dead Invaders!" or something..when in reality..there might be 1 KIA, a couple serious WIAs, and a bunch of walking-wounded.

It looked like a very early video. 4-5 Humvees, closely grouped, mixed coloration. We were spacing out to 200-300m intervals as early as 2004, probably sooner but I can't give first-hand account of that.

Originally posted by Clavicula_Nox:

The thing I don't like about IED videos are watching the bad guys stuff. It's all good for intel, but they always label it with something asinine like "27 Dead Invaders!" or something..when in reality..there might be 1 KIA, a couple serious WIAs, and a bunch of walking-wounded.

LoL, it's called propaganda.....

Though I'm sure the 'Coalition' would never stoop to the use of misinformation or exaggeration in order achieve a desired outcome.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hoolaman:

It's a truck bomb VBIED, you can see it pull over just before the blast. Also interesting the cars on the other side of the road being pulled over by some guy, I'm guessing there is a connection there.

NNooooooo, a connection between locals and attacks? Never! ;) </font>

As far as I know all parties in any conflict use propaganda. It's a mighty (morale) weapon after all.

Even when I perhaps agree with you about the ones you call 'Bad Guys' in this particular incident, in my personal opinion I'm not really fond of USA's foreign policy's either. The so called bad guys in my opinion are the ones sending the troops/brainwashing the youths. The particular grunt or rebel just does his job / what he is told.

Perhaps the most interesting question is why people in those countries commit terror attacks at innocent people and why USA has several hunderd thousand troops outside it's border.

As a Dutchmen I know some things about our history. One could advocate that the USA actually isn't very far from what the VOC (Dutch east india company) was doing some time ago. Offcourse helped by new technologies, strategies, etc; it has a whole different look. That, and the fact that whealth isn't spread equally around the world, perhaps might be reason for such terror attacks and following actions by, for example, the USA.

Anyway; don't want to offend you here. Just be prepared that some people wont agree with who you call the bad guys, on a forum with people from all over the world. They could consider you the bad guy.

BTW; I'm happy you made it through the hell in one piece.

Now lets get back to our mutual point of interest; playing games that simulate military conflicts and have our mouths full of **** about it smile.gif