Squad Positioning/Formation

Since we'll get 1:1 presentation, I wonder if taking cover or good firing positions will be a problem without some adjustment from the player.

Eg, I want the squad to take position behind a wall in a spread line formation firing above the wall or take cover behind a single tank with all of the men packed in minimal space. Company of Heroes uses a quite effective way to do this and in TOW you can manually move them in desired spots. Are we going to see something similar in CMSF?

Troops in the game will automatically try and find cover if issued a move or slow command, or when exiting a vehicle.

Troops will also move using cover automatically if cover is available (walking in a trench or in trees or behind a hill instead of down the road).

They will also find cover if issued a face direction command.

You can also press the evade button that will erase all commands and instruct the unit to take cover immediately.

CMSF is using a similar approach (from what I have seen of CoH and FSW). It's called "action spots". So the squad/team/unit automatically knows what it's supposed to do at a given location (wall, house corner, door) without requiring input from the player.

It is important to keep in mind however that while the visual representation in CMSF is 1:1, the game still is using the squad/team/unit as the smallest unit that the player can command. You cannot command individual soldiers (unless a team/crew happens to be just one guy).

Martin

• 5 months later...