Reluctant snipers

I hear that the 50 Cal sniper rifle developed by Berretta can effectively hit targets over a mile away... however my sniper squads don't seem to want to fire at completely vulnerable targets at the range of 700 meters. The enemy's in the open and the sniper's got plenty of ammo, and both the enemy and the sniper are standing still, and worst of all, that ATGM crew managed to shoot (and kill) 5 of my Strykers... lucky no one was inside but the unfortunate crews... (I have tried manual targeting, both heavy and light, nothing happens)

Originally posted by Normal Dude:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by thelmia:

My Syrian snipers only seem to engage targets at less than 100m.... seems kinda backward.

Gamersgate version 1.02

I have this problem with just about all of my vehicles engaging infantry as well (minus tanks vs tanks). </font>

oh, and when the sniper does shoot, his aim is terrible, you gotta give snipers their one shot one kill credibility just like in the real world... going through 5 clips of ammo just to kill one unsuspecting soldier just feels wrong on so many levels.
While I also feel like the snipers don't have the lethality they should, I wonder what the actual field results are for causalities vs shots fired in battle by snipers. How many shots are cover fire, how many miss do to erratic moving targets? The big possible difference I can see from your statement vs what the game might model is that the soldiers are not unsuspecting, they know a battle going on, so they should be moving and using cover.

Originally posted by nathan S.J.:

oh, and when the sniper does shoot, his aim is terrible, you gotta give snipers their one shot one kill credibility just like in the real world... going through 5 clips of ammo just to kill one unsuspecting soldier just feels wrong on so many levels.

Be aware, snipers are not as effective as they are always portrayed as being. This is because snipers lie their asses off about how often they hit and at what range. Most sniper kills are close <300m.

Don't believe all you read in the books. Take snipers off the range and put them under stress and their ability to hit trails off very rapidly. - What everyone reads about is the un-verified successes!

aw... didnt have to put it that way... anyhow, I'd like to at least see them try... and besides, it shouldn't take 5 CLIPS of ammunition to kill 1 guy...

the Barrett M107 .50 Caliber sniper rifle can effectively shoot targets up to 1 mile away, but my sniper team equipped with that gun didn't even try to shoot at a target that was 300 meters... gotta soften up those ATGMs for crying out loud they're ripping me apart...

Ok, I have tried to stay out of the sniper issue due to my personal bias.

There are valid points about the engagement accuracy and rate of engagement. Snipers have the luxury of picking when and where we engage. We use range and time like pilots use altitude and speed. It is a trade off. CMSF is a hot zone where Snipers are used mainly for just that little bit of extra “reach out and touch someone” effect. They are not being used to the maximum effect due to the fluid nature of the battle arena where they are operating.

Hell yes, if we could get closer without getting spotted then we would, but we also know that everyone and their mother is going to be headhunting after we get 3 clean shots off. You never hear of captured Snipers, they are killed on the spot usually. Understanding human nature as it is, one get’s PO’d when you know that individuals are being personally targeted not just the sterile Geneva Convention definition of enemy combatants, but the “George was my friend and now I am upset” sorta PO’d.

So in order for that perfect solution to happen we need time. Time allows the Sniper Team to set position, observe and report. We are talking hours if not days, folks. Not the 120 minutes of battle (max) that is happening in CMSF’s environment. Snipers are being used as high value Marksman, not in their purest form. So they are actually engaging targets in a believable fashion as they are now.

As far as Snipers “lying” about engagement ranges I challenge anyone to a duel. Any Sniper worth his salt can put a cold bore round up a fleas arse at 300m without blinking an eye.