Simple request

Webwing

Can we have an option to set the graphics back to where they were pre-1.04 patch?

I know how annoying this is for you. Change one thing to please some and end up displeasing others that were happy before. But in this case it should have been an option added to the options panel, like others you have there.

I don’t agree it was just a marginal quality loss in the graphics. I think it was a huge loss. The graphics weren’t fantastic to start with, but now!? The colors are pale, bland, sterile. Too much light, no atmosphere. I don’t think people that liked the CM1 series liked it because of the crap graphics. They like it in spite of it. And now the graphics are back to CM1 standards. I see all those pixels flickering now like someone sprinkled dust on top of the map. I set everything to max in the options panel and its all the same. I realize I have to live with the magic carpet flying in the space weirdness. I see the up side is that I can create some nice elevations with this sort of map. But the quality of the graphics! I can understand you want to please people with slower machines, and that is fine, but why not give this as an option instead of take all of us one step back.

Maybe I'm missing something but I have put all the options to max in the options menu but nothing brought back the nice ol'graphics.

[ November 21, 2007, 02:03 AM: Message edited by: Webwing ]

:D Sure does, from my description!

Now reading my post I feel I was a bit too harsh. I can see the great improvement in the game from patch to patch. I’m having a lot of fun with it.

I was just frustrated with the graphics since I had just played it with previous version and then when I fired up the 1.04 it looked so different.

But lets get down to business.

Heres a screenshot.

screen1cp5.th.jpg

Worse though is that when I move the mouse (all the time!) those dots fliker!

This is from Kwazydog

"Im pretty sure all he should need to do is to turn up his 3D Model Quality settings a notch. As I recall all Chalres did there between 1.03 and 1.04 is some LOD tweaking that resulted in 1.04's Improved settings being more like 1.03's Balanced, 1.04s High settings being more like 1.03's improved, etc. As such, if he was running Balanced in 1.03 if he goes up a setting or two for 1.04 he should see very similar results.

CMSF does have an auto LOD algorithm that may be kicking in here also though as the card being used is an older one."

So try that.

Nope.

Settings and a screenshot.

settings2fs4.th.jpg

Settings

screen2ra9.th.jpg

Screen with the settings above.

In a way I'm relieved that this is not the way it should be. I was under the impression that this was the "minor" visual downgrade to improve fps.

Thanks for the help so far.

[ November 21, 2007, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Webwing ]

Have you tried lowering the graphics to balanced or lowering the resolution?

I know that in one of the earlier versions the 'best' settings produced some of the worst results for me because my machine couldn't handle it and the auto adjustment kicked in.

I wouldn't really expect it to be a problem in 1.04 if it wasn't before, but it's worth a try.

btw

Other Means has a quote from Steve as his signature. He isn't actually called Steve himself. smile.gif

Webwing, I suspect that the problem is actually your texture setting being set on best. Try setting and the model quality to medium for a start and see what results you get in the same location/same scenario. Also turn of Antialias/Multisample as well so as to remove any potential issues related to video card settings. If thats okay, increase your model setting a notch and check out the results.

Dan

[ November 21, 2007, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Thanks KwazyDog,

I tried with every possible setting.

For the best results I have textures at the minimum. Model quality makes no difference and Vertical sinc seem to make the textures look a bit metalic.

Anyway I managed to attenuate the problem. But the textures themselves have changed from previous versions.

-