Question on Defensive Equipment ?

Kirq

I had seen another post listing the current U.S. defensive equipment but i can't find it now. VLQ-6 and VLQ-8A roof-mounted electro-optical jammers. You never ever ever see photos of this equipment fielded in Iraq, perhaps because the ATGM threat is non-existant, perhaps because it would get shot off the roof pretty quickly. Alot of CMSF was set up 3 years ago in anticipation of Army equipment procurement in the *distant* 2008 timeframe. It sounds like CMSF was ready to go with something along the lines of the TROPHY active defense system but the Army never fielded it.

[ April 11, 2008, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by MikeyD:

You never ever ever see photos of this equipment fielded in Iraq

I distinctly remember some being fitted on the Abrams tanks (on the "disc" where the commanders thermal imager is fitted on the M1A2) that entered Baghdad first (the day they tore down the Saddam statue). Though I have no idea if any are fitted on vechiles in Iraq today.

• 5 months later...

Do you want to know where you can see good shots of the Marine Abrams VLQ-6(?) jammers mounted on the roof? That Steven Spielberg film "War of the Worlds". They used Marines as extras and all the Abrams' in the film are Marine tanks with the jammers mounted on the roofs plain-as-day. The only problem with looking for them there is you'd have to sit through the film which is total unwatchable dreck:(:rolleyes:

How can you "test" something you cannot turn on or off?

Because the AI is going to see any M1 on the battlefield as a major threat, they're going to throw everything they have at it. The Syrians have weapons which can take out any tank.

The failure you saw may not have been the jammer, but that you let the tank become a target. Jammers are not force fields. Every device and technique can be overcome if you throw enough weapons at it long enough.

-Pv-