An idea for the map editor

Scipio

Even if I don't know how the new mapeditor will look like...maybe it is possible to import a map image (in JPG or BMP or any other common format) and use it as background image for the 2D view of the map editor instead of the current plain green.

Sense: this way it would be possible to use an image of a real map as underlying background image, and the scenario designer can simply 'trace' it.

From the well unknown, not yet written book 'Ideas from the bathtub'...

Dorosh... are you being sarcastic? This is an old idea that even we thought of on our own (but coudln't implement) :D

The Editor for CMx2 won't be the be-all-end-all that people want it to be. However, importing a background image to use as a template is still on the Want List for the Editor. Whether it makes it into the first release or not remains to be seen. But yeah, it would be very nice to have.

Steve

However, importing a background image to use as a template is still on the Want List for the Editor. Whether it makes it into the first release or not remains to be seen. But yeah, it would be very nice to have.

Steve [/QB]

You already can do that with Mapping Mission since more than 2 or 3 years. Shouldn´t require rocket-science to implement something handy like that in a new build of the game.

It´s the best invention since sliced bread if you want to create maps basing on 1:25000 topos. I never touched the CM editor for map design after the Mapping Mission release. Here is huge potential for imrovement.

Contact Leland if you haven´t already. I guess he will be more than happy to see his idea implemeted in the new CMx2.

cheers

Originally posted by David Chapuis:

the background map would need to be on the same scale as the editor if you were going to do any kind of trace.

Sure, but that´s no problem. If the map doesn´t have a grid already like the UTM-grid you can easily create something similar on the PC.

Really no work compared to the PITA you had to go through before Mapping Mission showed up with its underlay feature.

cheers

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by David Chapuis:

the background map would need to be on the same scale as the editor if you were going to do any kind of trace.

And it takes exactly 5 seconds using Windows "Paint" to scale up or down images to precise percentages. </font>

Originally posted by David Chapuis:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by David Chapuis:

And it takes exactly 5 seconds using Windows "Paint" to scale up or down images to precise percentages. </font>

Of course it would; you would still have the original before you scaled it down; print it off and look at the details. The scaled down version in the editor would just be a guide.

ok then, I guess I will just go back to looking down on Seanachai from my lowly position of scum on the bottom of JasonC's shoes.

That's an awesome idea....has anyone thought of it before? Just when you think you've read it all.

Its a common method utilised by most GIS applications. Its been around for at least 20+ years that I know of.

This would be extremely useful. Or give the ability to flip back and forth between two or more background images - that way if you had, say, a topo map and an aerial photo, you could work at tracing off of both of them in turn.

Again, something that most GIS can accomplish without too much difficulty. Might need a lot of programming behind it, for all I know but Arc/Info, etc. can do it already.

if I am not mistaken Mapping Mission is only available for PCs

Is there a Mac version?

That aside maybe Steve and Charles should take a look at the Mapping Mission program code.

it sounds like this one is doable in the game. Especially if it has already been done as a third party app for CMx1.

-tom w

Originally posted by DesertFox:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> However, importing a background image to use as a template is still on the Want List for the Editor. Whether it makes it into the first release or not remains to be seen. But yeah, it would be very nice to have.

Steve

You already can do that with Mapping Mission since more than 2 or 3 years. Shouldn´t require rocket-science to implement something handy like that in a new build of the game.

It´s the best invention since sliced bread if you want to create maps basing on 1:25000 topos. I never touched the CM editor for map design after the Mapping Mission release. Here is huge potential for imrovement.

Contact Leland if you haven´t already. I guess he will be more than happy to see his idea implemeted in the new CMx2.

cheers [/QB]</font>

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

The Editor for CMx2 won't be the be-all-end-all that people want it to be....

Hmm, I don't know if I'm reading to much into that statement - but will it at least be as good as the old CMx1 editor? IMHO it's one of the strongest parts of the old games! Naturally a more advanced 3D engine may make it harder to implement an editor that is as easy to use as the old one?

/Mazex

BTW. For an interesting look at where mapping technology is going one might want to go hereand download Goggle earth. It allows both a 2D and a 3D view of terrain over the entire earth. It includes aerial (sp?) photographs, Digital Terrain Elevation Data (DTED), and map data (streets etc), plus 3D buildings (for the downtowns of the big US cities). It seems that this technology would be useful in building maps for wargames (even if the maps and photos are contemporary and not historical. For intance go look at Sicily. It is quite awesome to see how detailed the terrian data is by combing the 3D view with the overhead photos.

The only catch that I know is I don't know how well Google earth will work over a slow internet connection (I've only tried it on my machine at work that has high speed internet connection). Also, I know some people have trouble getting it to run. But if you have high speed internet and the software runs on your machine it is pretty awsome.