Scaleable CMx2

I remember a while back that Steve said that one of the objectives of CMX2 was that it was scaleable, which got me thinking ( stranger things have happened, but not often).

If we take the view that in CMBO etc, it was geared to Company sized actions even though larger units could be used, so we had a game where you normally command about a dozen or so units, Co HQ, 3x Plt HQ, 9x Squad plus support.

Now in CMSF it's platoons but still a dozen or so units, with teams instead of squads and an 8mtr grid instead of 20 mtr.

So what about going a scale lower, again with about a dozen units but it's the commander plus his squad and a 1.5 mtr grid.

The game map would probably be no larger than 300-400mtr, and mostly about close quarters combat.

I'd also like the Idea of issuing orders to the units rather than controlling them, which would make it different from most small unit games the same way CM is from most company scale ones.

Peter.

'Scaleable' might mean dropping all the way down to 1:1 control, though I don't think we'll ever see that out of BFC unless their distant 'Space Lobsters' title is allowed to take some really serious risks. I can't quite imagine what 'scaling up' might be though. I suspect the new game engine could do a LOT of stuff - given ulimited time and an unlimited budget. Me, I'd be interested in seeing Vietnam era Riverine and helicopter operations - but can you imagine how much new code would have to be written for that?

There is a game like that. At least near that. It's Birigade E5. It's like Jagged Alliance in real time, but you can issue orders on pause, and it's full 3d. Graphics aren't really the best but it's sure lots of fun. Unfortunately it has some bugs. The game gives you a lot more control over your soldiers than Jagged Alliance.

http://www.1cpublishing.eu/game/brigade-e5-new-jagged-union/overview

It seems that soon we'll see a sequel called '7.62'

There is also a very fun multiplayer, in RT but every player has some time limit for pausing. You can pause to keep up with action, your total pause time is limited for example to 5 minutes (you can adjust time limit)

Originally posted by TOG:

There is a game like that. At least near that. It's Birigade E5. It's like Jagged Alliance in real time, but you can issue orders on pause, and it's full 3d. Graphics aren't really the best but it's sure lots of fun. Unfortunately it has some bugs. The game gives you a lot more control over your soldiers than Jagged Alliance.

http://www.1cpublishing.eu/game/brigade-e5-new-jagged-union/overview

It seems that soon we'll see a sequel called '7.62'

There is also a very fun multiplayer, in RT but every player has some time limit for pausing. You can pause to keep up with action, your total pause time is limited for example to 5 minutes (you can adjust time limit)

The unofficial "Immortal Badass" mod fixed pretty much all the bugs and added weapons. Brigade E5 is a brilliant game, btw.