Initial impressions: WEGo vs Realtime

Originally posted by Exel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hub:

The CM WEGO system is just realtime with "enforced" pauses, so it's all good...

Which makes is all the more painful to not not have it in multiplayer. Like you said, it's just forcing a pause on the realtime game, so there should be very little reason not to have it as an option. </font>

The arguement for RT out of the RT fanbois has always been they believe it to be more realistic for command control. What they are forgetting is all the HOURS of planning before a major battle begins. Nothing in any war happens in the time frame that RT games put into the games and no commander had to use a mouse and click click click to send his subordinates commands to give to their subordinates. Therefore RT is not nor will ever be realistic until it actually plays in REAL WORLD TIME as we know it. Where I have hours to command. Where I don't have to use a mouse to give those commands where I don't have to rush around the screen like a chicken with its head cutoff to give those orders.

The single most horrible thing about RT is how much action one really misses playing one of them. You don't get to see ALL the action and that is what I buy games for to play them MYSELF, not WATCH the AI play it. In real time games that is what is happening most often the AI is playing the game and you are just watching or click click clicking like a maniac. They should title RTS games "Mario Does Wargames". lol

But, of course the majority of us know that turn based is a thinking mans game and a real wargame and strategy game will be turn based. Chess and checkers preceeding all things have been around a very long time. Teaching that turn based rules and real time is for kids who don't want to think they just want to show how fast they can jerk off. Just look at the majority of your RT games. They all play from a template. You can goto google and get a template for playing these RTS games, but, you can't for playing real wargames that are turn based. Mainly because every game is different an unique unlike RTS games where building in order 1 2 3 and following the template order will net you a victory 9 out of 10 times.

I can understand Battlefronts decision to put in RTS so they could bring in more sales from the kiddies. I'm just glad; even though I won't buy this POC hypothetical modern day game that it has the excellent WEGO system for those that will buy it and later buy into what we all wanted in the first place WWII stuff. <goes away grumbling about the time and resources wasted on making this poc game>

Originally posted by Cheeba:

Exactly. Here's a thought, how about some kind of "hybrid" option for multiplayer, using some of the ideas listed before?

To quote myself from a thread not long ago, but that has already fallen into the the virtual abyss (page 2):

Originally posted by Exel:

Way to create WeGo play for TCP/IP RealTime games:

- Force an automatic pause every 60 seconds.

- Unpause only at the request of both players.

- Prevent commands being given when the games is not paused.

So pretty much what you said, but in a more compressed format. tongue.gif

Seriously though, doing that will only miss you out on the replays, and I can't honestly say that's a bad thing for a non-PBEM multiplayer match. Is there a reason that could not be done?

I had a feeling someone might have got there before me, there's just been such a deluge of posts here lately I couldn't check everything. But yeah, you're right on the button there smile.gif

I really hope they try this out, it does seem like the most elegant solution for the problem.