ip play terribly unstable with 1.12 patch

This sucks ... bigtime! I have now played three ip games as the host, and we havn't been able to complete any of them. After about 10-15 turns, the connection always crashes right after data-transfer. I reload the game, and the same damn thing happens again and again!

Time to look at your code again boys, cause it ain't workin ...

Kraut

Nothing wrong with the code. Ask all the people who play on the chat everyday. There are so many varuables on the net that can affect play. I just played a 2 hour ip game. So think again

Rune

A two hour game ... i am o so happy for you.

Yeah, there are many v-a-r-i-a-b-l-e-s that can affect the connection. But as i said, my problem isn't a connection dropped here or there, but rather that the connection blows after a certain time, and the game never lets us continue that same save-game again. It always dies at the same turn ...

Kraut

Kraut - maybe you need to contact Madmatt and see if he has the same problem with your TCP/IP Save Game.

However, as rune pointed out... there are all sorts of variables about IP connections. What kind of connection do you have to the 'Net ? Not that I'd really be able to troubleshoot this problem for you, but if Madmatt could finish the game, then there may be something about your ISP that is causing problems. Have you had problems as the Client in an IP game ?

confused.gif

Ditto!

Our game, homemade scenario, locks-up after 20 or so turns during the Data Transfer in progress screen. The client machine is the first to see the problem. We also have the problem during reloads.

EricTheO

Originally posted by Kraut:

This sucks ... bigtime! I have now played three ip games as the host, and we havn't been able to complete any of them. After about 10-15 turns, the connection always crashes right after data-transfer. I reload the game, and the same damn thing happens again and again!

Time to look at your code again boys, cause it ain't workin ...

Kraut

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Remember where ever you go there you are!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just experienced this problem with my opponent,Vetch.He is using a Mac,I'm using a Celeron 450,256 megs SDRam.We had played two games last week with no problems,but we had one DYO this morning where we kept losing connection as soon as the game was ready to go to the replay.We finally had to quit that one(still have the save),and started another one,where we experienced no problem.

Very strange-but I can vouch,this does happen,for seemingly no reason.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Oberly (edited 03-04-2001).]

Mike,

Try playing the game locally and see if the file got corrupted.

Kraut,

So you can correct a typo, big deal. The point is there are many variables, and need more information to correct. You cay it is the code, but offer no proof. My point, keep an open mind and lets work on the problem. Toss the file here, i have two computers on a local network, let me see if the file got corrupt or if i can load it.

Bottom line, try being a little nicer to people trying to help you.

Rune

Guest Solid Snake

My guess is overflow of information on the modem

i play another game that uses lots of information and if to much information comes the modem cant handle it and the connection gives out a second or two

usually with 56k and cable

Rune-

My opponent and I would still like to play this one out,so I don't want to ruin the FOW if I don't have to.I think we'll try it again via tcp/ip,and if that fails again,we'll try finishing via email.

What's odd is that a couple of turns prior to where we are now we were getting the same problem,but after my opponent removed some mods(and I don't know if that had any affect or not)we were able to continue.But after playing one turn,we're back to the same thing,and this time nothing either of us did could get it to work.

Just odd that this is the only scenario where we've had a problem.Maybe it *is* a corrupted file,I don't know.

I'll post after we've tried it again.

Mike

Mike,

No problem. Let me know how it goes. Same thing, can toss it on my network here and see if I can load and play the game. The mods will not effect anything on either side, they are all contained locally.

It is a scenario made or a qb?

Rune

Well, On behalf of Jimmy4Eyes, BradleyH and myself, we have all experienced this with the 1.12 patch. Game lock ups during turn crunching, data transfer and while playing. The save file (autosave) in some instances get corrupted and wont load. We now make sure that we save the game prior to pressing GO.

We each use Win 2k but our systems differ other than that. Oh, we do use various versions of Det 3 with no luck and DX8a doesnt seem to help.

I know BTS might say that they changed nothing with respect to the engine in this patch aside from fixing bugs, but Id ask that they check again cuz something seems afoot.

I wonder how many other players out there have had this same problem yet dont post about it.

TeAcH

Another post reminded me of something...are you guys using any firewall? Are you using any router? Some people are having problems with zone alarm and others. If you are using that, can you turn it off and try. trying to help narrow down the possibilities.

Also, how are you connecting? Dial up? AOL? Compuserve? What is you partner using to get on the net?

Teach,

I reloaded W2K and I know madmatt did too. We could NOT get the error like you guys are getting. However, is there anything in common you three are using that we might not be? For example, NTFS or disk Compression?

Rune

Rune-

I'm not using anything special,but I *do* use Black Ice(I don't think my opponent is using a firewall).I have a cable connect,and he is using DSL.Can anyone confirm that this happens when both players are using the same platform?I'm sure it does,but we are playing PC vs Mac.

I wondered about the firewall,so I shut it down,and we still got the same result.And I've used the firewall with all the other tcp games that went fine,so it would seem strange if that's the problem.

Mike

Originally posted by rune:

Mike,

Try playing the game locally and see if the file got corrupted.

Kraut,

So you can correct a typo, big deal. The point is there are many variables, and need more information to correct. You cay it is the code, but offer no proof. My point, keep an open mind and lets work on the problem. Toss the file here, i have two computers on a local network, let me see if the file got corrupt or if i can load it.

Bottom line, try being a little nicer to people trying to help you.

Rune

Trying to help me? You sounded more like a smart-ass trying to give his ego a rubbing ...

I know it's something with the code because i can replicate the problem, and it happens after the file was uploaded.

It's not an occasional thing, and it doesn't happen in the middle of games. Therefore it must be a bug in the code, and should be fixed.

Kraut

Originally posted by TeAcH:

Well, On behalf of Jimmy4Eyes, BradleyH and myself, we have all experienced this with the 1.12 patch. Game lock ups during turn crunching, data transfer and while playing. The save file (autosave) in some instances get corrupted and wont load. We now make sure that we save the game prior to pressing GO.

We each use Win 2k but our systems differ other than that. Oh, we do use various versions of Det 3 with no luck and DX8a doesnt seem to help.

I know BTS might say that they changed nothing with respect to the engine in this patch aside from fixing bugs, but Id ask that they check again cuz something seems afoot.

I wonder how many other players out there have had this same problem yet dont post about it.

TeAcH

Yes, we now save the game before hitting go and that seems to work when these consistent crashes occur. Apparently it is only the autosave file which gets wasted.

Kraut

Guest Madmatt

Kraut,

Back off the aquisations there! Rune is one of the best if not the best beta tester on the team and he and I have played countless TCP/IP games that went on for hours with no lockups.

I am not saying there isn't a problem, but since no one ever sends me their autosaves and information as I have requested numerous times there isn't anything we can do other than suggest things which may help.

What I need is the autosaves that are created when the game hangs. I need the passwords from BOTH sides. I need any saved games prior to the crash (if you have them) and I need detailed specs on your system (OS, speed etc..) including the type and speed of connection for each player. I also need a recap of when and how the crash occured from each players point of view (what phase, did both systmes crash together etc...).

Now, back off the attitude a little and lets see if we can track this down once and for all.

Madmatt

Guest Madmatt

Send to matt@battlefront.com and what I really need more than anything is information about when this problem occurs amd all your system specs and those of your opponent. I am trying to see if there is some common thread that we can find when people have a lockup.

Madmatt