Air Support - Apache

hobo

Through bad luck and some leadership ineptitude I managed to get most of a scout company wiped out by an unexpected Syrian tank attack. I did have 2 AH64 air assets available so I called them in to save the bacon of my remaining troops. I called one apache on an area target and another one on a point target of 1 tank. The tanks were out in the open so they should have been easily seen by crack pilots. My expectations were that the Apache's would be able to easily destroy the 4-5 remaining tanks. What I got was some chain gun fire and a few explosions off in the distance. The tanks remained uneffected I am now hiding in a gulley hoping for a miracle.

Questions for the forum:

1. Should I have expected two apaches to deal with these tanks?

2. If the Apaches see tanks, would they attack anyway even if they are slightly out of the target area?

3. Can I assume they would have some hellfire missles?

4. Should I have point targeted or area targeted the tanks (The area target was probably not a good idea as tanks tend to move when attacking)

Thoughts?

Hobo

Elmar - I think I did a little bit of everything. If this is indeed how it works, I want this logged as a bug. If I call in Apaches and they see tanks, they attack with hellfires. If all they see is troops or light trucks, have fun with the chain gun.

- Hobo

Originally posted by pad152:

Has anyone seen a Hellfire attack?

Yes ,Ive had them both in the training campaign arty mission in in the main campaign - when your point targeting Ive noticed the maker will have "strike target , infantry or vehicle" in the text if you move it over the target ,if Ive set it as strike vehicle then the ah64's have used hellfire's.

Alright just a did a quick test, 9 Syrian tanks in static position, 2 Apcahes, 1 HQ team to spot.

I gave one Apache an order to point attack ground near the tanks, another to area target about 6 of the tanks.

The point target came in, cannoned the ground and left with no kills. The area target heli came in, blew up a tank and continued to circle until all the tanks in his area were destroyed (a total of 8 times cause he shot two tanks twice).

I then ordered a second point target, this time directly on one of the surviving tank. It destroyed it, then came around twice more but did not destroy any of the remaining tanks in the area (and they were within 50 meters). It may have been shooting at fleeing crew infantry that I couldn't see.

Not a very through test but from what I saw area target works a lot better if you want the Apache circling and going after multiple targets.

Funny thing happened as the game finished. The tanks and BMPs left the area I identified so the Apache made a few strafing runs against a few of my dead strykers that were in the area. As far as I can tell, this needs to be put in the bug catagory.

- Hobo

PS - I love the game. Don't take this thread as another shot at BFC. This is just an amazing complex game and it is going to take some time to get all of the issues resolved.

Originally posted by hobo:

... The tanks and BMPs left the area I identified so the Apache made a few strafing runs against a few of my dead strykers that were in the area. As far as I can tell, this needs to be put in the bug catagory.

Which 'this' are you talking about? I think you'll have a hard time convincing anyone that the Apaches attacking a target in the area you specified is a bug.

Hey Jon -

Here is the premise of my bug theory:

1. Apaches can spot all non-static tanks/BMPs in a desert setting in the operational theater depicted in CMSF. Especially those spotted by local troops.

2. Apache will always attack an enemy tank/BMP if it sees one.

3. Apache will always use hellfires on tanks if it has them

Number 3 is the big if and is the premise of my "bug Theory". I stipulate that if you call close air support of any kind, it should attempt to take out all major threats being encountered by the calling troops.

- Hobo