small bonelet for potential Mac gamers of CM:SF

I guess this does not come as much of a surprise..

Looks like an intel Mac with a bootable windows partition will be required to play CM:SF on a Mac when it is released.

posted January 03, 2007 06:52 PM

We are using OpenGL, not DX. As for making a Mac only product... it certainly won't be coming out along side the Windows version's initial release. Best case is we might do one later. Personally, I'm not sure it makes sense for us to do one at all. I'm getting an Intel based Mac very soon and will be playing CM:SF on that.

Steve

here is the link if you are looking for some context around the post, its in the "Will we be playing in less then 5 months thread".

Triple good news in some strange Orwellian way.

Left me totally numb and stunned. Looks like I'm not playing CMSF this year either.

Oh well, I can wait.

US vs Syria was never my main area of interest, so I can skip the first CM2 game if need be, even if my heart also skips a beat at the thought.

[ January 04, 2007, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Jarmo ]

Maybe I'm way off, but from the looks of things, now that Mac users can uses Windows on their machines, BFC isn't going to make Mac versions of their software, so its not just CMSF you'll be missing if that is the case (unless you use Windows on your Intel Mac).

Originally posted by Pzman:

Maybe I'm way off, but from the looks of things, now that Mac users can uses Windows on their machines, BFC isn't going to make Mac versions of their software, so its not just CMSF you'll be missing if that is the case (unless you use Windows on your Intel Mac).

I actually am working as a Beta lead (NDA though, cannot say more) on running graphic intensive games under Windows on Mac hardware. In fact, we just hacked a version of Vista onto a MacBook Pro.

I can say that, even if you had the chance to have your own Windows machine, the Mac are better for running Windows, you won't have any problems running any game. First off, you can leave your Windows partition for gaming only and avoid all the snarling viruses and shareware that make Windows problematic. Next, if your Windows dies, boot to Mac and burn it down. Windows runs cleaner and easier on my Macs than it does on the Windows machines because if anything implodes, you can always boot Mac.

So Steve and gang are really not turning to the darkside. I have 18 dual booters now in service, including one with a pre-release processor if a <censored> variety which will soon hit the market and likely end up in Macs, and I simple work on the Mac side and play on the PC side.

Originally posted by Pzman:

Not everybody can afford to "kill" his machine to play a game.

However, I have long been of the opinion that it is better to make software that is using sane, well-documented APIs, so that it is easy to run them on other OSes with a fighting chance to get it right.

Using OpenGL instead of DirectX is a major step into the right direction.

Originally posted by Slapdragon's Ghost:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pzman:

I actually am working as a Beta lead (NDA though, cannot say more) on running graphic intensive games under Windows on Mac hardware. In fact, we just hacked a version of Vista onto a MacBook Pro.

I can say that, even if you had the chance to have your own Windows machine, the Mac are better for running Windows, you won't have any problems running any game. First off, you can leave your Windows partition for gaming only and avoid all the snarling viruses and shareware that make Windows problematic. Next, if your Windows dies, boot to Mac and burn it down. Windows runs cleaner and easier on my Macs than it does on the Windows machines because if anything implodes, you can always boot Mac.

So Steve and gang are really not turning to the darkside. I have 18 dual booters now in service, including one with a pre-release processor if a <censored> variety which will soon hit the market and likely end up in Macs, and I simple work on the Mac side and play on the PC side. </font>

Because it's using OpenGL instead of DirectX, there may be another option that doesn't need a license of Windows.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

CrossOver Mac. Lets many Windows applications run on a Mac. I'm pretty sure it's WINE that's easy to run and configure. If any Mac beta testers want to try it out, there is a free demo of it.

I'll be getting a MacBook or MacBook Pro this spring and not needing to reboot into Windows to play CM would be great. Also, I'm curious if Parallels works. I know there isn't DirectX support, but I wonder about OpenGL.